cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird BSOD ( SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x3B Netio.sys)

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
Hi! I am Sturm. This is my first post as a member of this ROG/Asus community. I first would like to say I am happy to be a part of this and look forward to further prospects!

Anyway, I recently upgraded my system to a Maximus VII Formula and a 4790k. Everything seems to be running normal, accept I just BSOD'd. Right after POSTing, in-between booting Windows, I received this: http://i.imgur.com/aG6KoIw.jpg

What caused this? How do I access the memory dump that was created? Could this occur again, or is it a possibly one-time thing? I am very concerned as of yet. I have reset and booted again and it did not occur, but I am wary of doing again because I am afraid I might encounter it again.

Edit: I did boot up again. It did not occur, however, I am still very wary and quite scared to say the least. The last thing I did directly prior to the BSOD (before shutting down system) was run 3Dmark Firestrike. Everything seemed normal there. I turned system on again, boom, BSOD. I am not overclocked on my 4790k, and really, I see no indication of anything being wrong. I even ran a full scan of Malwarebytes to verify. Nothing. I am dazed...

Please note that I am running the same copy of Windows 7 as I did with my old 3770k and Z77 board (Sabertooth Z77). The upgrade to Z97 and Devil's Canyon was over two weeks at this point, and the new hardware was detected completely fine. Everything was recognised right off the bat. I just needed to install the Mobo drivers and re-verify Windows. I still have no reason to believe this BSOD is related to my hardware changes. Could it be this BSOD is possibly just a false-positive or unrelated to anything? A false alarm?

I have read a bit into this type of BSOD. It seems to be related to software/drivers. Luckily, nothing to do with hardware apparently. I did have ROG GameFirst III installed before and a bit after the BSOD. I since uninstalled it. I do not know if it had anything to do with it, but I have read some threads that linked this BSOD to GameFirst. Does anyone have any insight?

Also, I have to say, part of this post is copypasta from a few threads I posted on other sites. I expanded a little more on this here, however.

-Sturm
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hello Sturmgewehr_44 and welcome

It very well could be a driver conflict causing the crashing. It's recommended to do a fresh install of windows when upgrading your motherboard and install the drivers from the asus support page. Only install the LAN driver from the motherboard disc then go to the link below to install the necessary drivers. Skip gamefirst to see if you still get the BSOD's.

Install the chipset driver first, the intel management engine driver second and any other necessary drivers you might need, then install the graphics driver. After this run the windows update utility until there are no more updates found.

See how you go after doing this.

http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
Hi!

I installed WhoCrashed and according to it:

On Wed 5/6/2015 9:50:51 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nfc_driver.sys (NFC_Driver+0x46E4)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001825A1D, 0xFFFFF8800A758370, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nfc_driver.sys .
Google query: nfc_driver.sys SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

What does this mean? Well, I believe the aforementioned nfc_driver.sys is part of GameFirst III, which was installed on my system at the time this BSOD occurred. Is nfc_driver.sys part of GameFirst though? I have my sources, but I would like to know for sure. I have since got rid of GameFirst III and have not had the issue reoccur.

Nate152

Yeah. that's what I assumed. Seems about right.

Does Asus have any intention on fixing it? I don't have much dependence on it, but would still not mind a fix so I could maybe give it another go. Wouldn't hurt...