cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551 is full of problems. Is it only my unit or is this normal?

AWk
Level 7
Hi I just purchased a G551, the model with the IPS and 128GB ssd + 1TB 2.5".

1. The ssd is incrediby slow. Here's my crystal mark benchmark:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2015 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 412.651 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 155.525 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 115.486 MB/s [ 28194.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 83.721 MB/s [ 20439.7 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 204.858 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 156.445 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 30.784 MB/s [ 7515.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 53.020 MB/s [ 12944.3 IOPS]

Test : 500 MiB [C: 32.8% (34.1/104.0 GiB)] (x2)
Date : 2015/06/08 21:29:52

2. The keyboard lights are off until I log on to my windows account. This is annoying at night because I can't see what I'm typing.
3. The battery is pathetic. I do nothing but edit word documents and it only lasts 3 hours after a full charge.
3 REPLIES 3

AWk
Level 7
Apparently it's GL551 not G551. Can mods please edit the title?

edit

NVM I edited it myself. So, help? Do I return this thing and get an MSI ghost or what? Will it void the warranty if I replaced the SSD?

OCFreak
Level 7
1: Yes this model use msata SSD which is not very fast. Still way faster than regular HDD. This is normal. 412Mb/s sequential read is not bad after all, just not up there with the "average 2015 SSD".
2: This is normal, has been like this for all laptops I've owned with backlit keyboard. (various lenovo/asus models).
3: Depends on several things, keyboard backlight on/off? Screen brightness? With keyboard backlight off and screen brightness one step above minimum I manage around 4,5 hours on mine with wifi enabled. 3 hours seems normal if I enable keyboard backlight and turn up screen brightness some. This laptop is not an ultrabook, and it's better than the majority of other laptops with GTX level GPU and quadcore CPU.

All in all it seems quite normal.

Edit: The msata SSD slot is very hard to get to and almost whole laptop needs to be disassembled, and only msata SSDs will fit - and they are all around same speed as the one asus has preinstalled. You can replace the regular HDD with an fast 2.5" SSD, which is quite easy, just one cover and few screws.

OCFreak wrote:
1: Yes this model use msata SSD which is not very fast. Still way faster than regular HDD. This is normal. 412Mb/s sequential read is not bad after all, just not up there with the "average 2015 SSD".
2: This is normal, has been like this for all laptops I've owned with backlit keyboard. (various lenovo/asus models).
3: Depends on several things, keyboard backlight on/off? Screen brightness? With keyboard backlight off and screen brightness one step above minimum I manage around 4,5 hours on mine with wifi enabled. 3 hours seems normal if I enable keyboard backlight and turn up screen brightness some. This laptop is not an ultrabook, and it's better than the majority of other laptops with GTX level GPU and quadcore CPU.

All in all it seems quite normal.

Edit: The msata SSD slot is very hard to get to and almost whole laptop needs to be disassembled, and only msata SSDs will fit - and they are all around same speed as the one asus has preinstalled. You can replace the regular HDD with an fast 2.5" SSD, which is quite easy, just one cover and few screws.

Thanks for the reply. The Msata Asus installed is the old kingston, extremely slow and full of problems (check reviews). I may buy one and send it to the service center so they can replace it for me. There's also this issue with link state management the BSODs on me all the time but someone on the forum said it only happens on battery power when nvidia's card is enabled.

Guess I'll stick to this. I chose it because it was $400 cheaper than MSI and had the windows key on the left -.-