cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Building a PC, Looking for help.

IHRManiac
Level 7
Hello, I am deciding to build a PC specifically for gaming, and possibly streaming. I would like help on what parts to get, and any information about picking parts. Here is my current parts I would like to get. Any advice appreciated! Keep in mind, I'm a noob at this.Also looking for a good website where I can make payments on all of the parts, if possible.

Budget: $1,000-$2,300
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, potentially streaming.
Monitor resolution: 1080P (already have a good monitor)

CPU: Intel i7-4790 4.0 GHz (overclocks to 4.4)
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Sleeve Bearing (82.9 CFM)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero AGX LTA 1150
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2x8 GB) DDR3-1866
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce 980Ti
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold ATX
WiFi Card(have cable internet and downstairs away from router and modem):
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1
Peripherals: Already have a Razer Deathadder and Razer Deathstalker and Astro A50's
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hello IHRManiac

Welcome to the ROG forum!

That all looks good to me but with the i7-4790 cpu I presume you won't be doing any overclocking and it's 3.6GHz and boosts to 4.0GHz.

You could get the maximus vii hero and save 100 bux and put it towards the i7-4790k which is 4.0GHz and boosts to 4.4GHz, that would be roughly 50 bux. The 4790k is overclockable too but with the hyper 212 evo cpu cooler I don't know how much more you'd be able to get but you would gain 400MHz at stock speed with the 4790k vs the 4790.

Then you could take the other 50 bux and put it towards a better psu, bronze psu's are budget psu's and you should at least go with a gold rated psu in a high end build and if you do decide to do any overclocking you'd want a quality gold rated 750w psu.

The gtx 970 will do well at 1080p, for the smoothest game play you want at least 60 frames per second. Here is roughly what you can expect from the gtx 970 at 1080p.

Alright, thanks for the help. Might be looking to save up for the Titan X, as i want to be able to play graphically demanding games and open world games, like H1Z1. I currently am using an Asus laptop and just looking for a decent gaming PC, on my laptop i currently use Razer Cortex and play CSGO and Garry's Mod, but that's about all i can play with good frame rates and would like to expand out to more PC games, as I have almost completely transfered over from the Xbox One and PS4. If there's any new builds besides my own anyone recommends that isn't pre built, let me know.

Nate152
You could get the 980ti, it was released about a week ago and is close to the performance of the titan x and costs 350 bux less and you could play any game at 1080p with max settings.

The gpu is what will give you the most performance increase in a gaming pc.

Here is another video

Alright, thanks. I'll for sure be looking into the 980Ti. Do you think I could downgrade to an i5 without a huge drop in performance? I would like to get the price down as much as possible, without greatly effecting anything.

Nate152
i5-4690k = 4 cores - 4 threads, 6MB L3 cache, 3.5GHz boosts to 3.9GHz

i7 - 4790k = 4 cores - 8 threads (supports hyperthreading), 8MB L3 cache, 4.0GHz boosts to 4.4GHz

here is another video to compare the 4690k vs the 4790k, the D3D11 is the frames per second, it will depend on the game, if the game supports hyperthreading that will be a plus for the 4790k. The higher clock speed at stock will also give the performance edge to the 4790k.

Korth
Level 14
Logical Increments and PCPartPicker are good resources. They also link to various vendors and can filter out "best price" deals, but not worldwide.

I think 600W is sufficient for your i7/Z97/DDR3/GTX970, but it might be a little tight/unstable if you plan any overclocking. An 80Plus Silver or Gold PSU would be better build reliability and might save you from a lot of frustrations and something of the sort can be found for sale every week (and saving energy is good, too, but it would take years of penny-saving to repay the initial cost difference, lol). Newegg.com currently offers the Corsair CX600 for $65 (after rebate), and a reburbished CX600 for $45 (after rebate), but also a variety of Rosewill Photon 80Plus Silver PSUs (600W for $65, 700W for $72, some 600W+ Silver refurb and open box items as low as $48).

I happen to have an Obsidian 750D tower. A beautiful case, quite perfect in almost every way - except beware the insulting cheapness on the Power/Reset switches and LEDs, as often as not they don't work right out of the box (and can waste a lot of time if you assume they work but your mobo won't power on). Many people break their plastic SSD brackets and HDD rails and the front-panel hinge - these aren't "cheap" but they are indeed made of somewhat flimsy plastics, a little patience figures them out, a little gorilla finger will break things. Mounting anything in the 5.25" bays wrecks the aesthetic, and airflow can be constrained when the front panel isn't open, so minor mods are required to fix Corsair's design oversights in these areas. Spare parts, panels, etc are basically impossible to find and Corsair never has anything of the sort in stock for this case, it's sort of the "middle child" between their better-selling 850D and 900D cases.

Do you have the CM Hyper 212, Hyper 212 EVO, Hyper 212 Plus, or Hyper 212X? They all come with a sleeve-bearing fan, lol. Some of the reviews I've read suggest that this cooler scores as a middly performer but should be a good performer and is being held back by cheap fan(s). The 140mm rear exhaust fan and two 140mm front intake fans on this 750D case should be enough, but your mobo and RAM and GPU might get a little warm under load if you don't add a top-exhaust fan or two to expel the recirculating crossflow generated by your Hyper 212. (You probably shouldn't mount this cooler "sideways" so it blows upwards because it uses the sort of heatpipes which depend a lot on gravity/orientation to function.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate: Alright, looks like not too huge of a difference, but I'll probably stick with the i7 and will probably go with the 980 Titan.
Korth: Alright, is there any ATX full towers you recommend? I have the gorilla fingers you speak of, lmao. If possible, I would like the motherboard space to be towards the bottom and be horizontally placed. I selected the Hyper 212 Evo, and I would love to have liquid cooling, but it seems a bit on the expensive side as from what I've heard, and I'd had to buy a more expensive power supply that goes along with the liquid cooling, and possibly replace the fans in the case with liquid cooling fans. And also, do you know anything about ball bearing fans? I'm sure they would last longer, but not sure how much longer. I would like long lasting fans so I don't have to keep replacing.

Nate152
Cases that have the motherboard mounted horizontally are usually expensive but here is the coolermaster haf xb evo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265

Then you have the best of the best in caselabs cases like the mercury S5-S8 and these are pricey.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=caselabs+mercury+s8+photos&view=detailv2&&&id=8C0A1EB85363233FFA...

Custom liquid cooling is expensive but you could get an all in one liquid cpu cooler for about 100 bux.
Something like this but you will want to make sure it is compatible with the case you choose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

IHRManiac
Level 7
Looking at the Cooler Master Storm Stryker ATX. Turns out the motherboard is side mounted, but I don't mind, as long as I find a fan that can function well sideways for the CPU. The case also has 4 fans itself, may buy a 5th case fan, so I'm not too worried about cooling all that much.