cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Card Help Needed

dminches
Level 7
I have an ASUS Deluxe X99 MOBO. I have the Hyper X4 card in the PCIe 2.0 slot. The only slots left are the 4 PCI 3.0 ones. What sound card can I use in those slots? I need a card that can take a digital input signal for recording. I haven't yet thought about using a USB port and an external recorder. I would prefer using a card.
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
You can use any PCIe sound card in the PCIe 3.0 slots, they're backwards compatible. Your onboard audio (Asus-programmed Realtek ALC1150, plus a few caps and other audio hardware) is already better than mid-end audio cards, so only a high-end audio product will actually provide a qualitative upgrade. Asus Xonar and Creative SoundBlaster products are pretty much all you should be considering, to be honest. External/USB audio devices have advantages - they can easily be moved from computer to computer, some of the externally-powered ones pack more/better audio hardware than any audio card (a PCIe card can't mount big fat tubes and amps, for example), they can be combined with other USB audio devices for upstream/downstream equalizer/amp/etc effects, and they're easier to reconfigure (with custom chips or whatnot) than a card bolted into a crowded computer. And disadvantages - their audio delivery can be interrupted/degraded by USB power/bandwidth constraints when sharing the bus with other USB devices, they invariably cost more. If you're willing to pay more (perhaps because you can use it on multiple computers, laptops, etc) and can connect the audio device alone on a USB controller/hub then external audio hardware is a good option. USB speakers/headphones seem to often cost less than their audio-jack counterparts.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You can use any PCIe sound card in the PCIe 3.0 slots, they're backwards compatible. Your onboard audio (Asus-programmed Realtek ALC1150, plus a few caps and other audio hardware) is already better than mid-end audio cards, so only a high-end audio product will actually provide a qualitative upgrade. Asus Xonar and Creative SoundBlaster products are pretty much all you should be considering, to be honest. External/USB audio devices have advantages - they can easily be moved from computer to computer, some of the externally-powered ones pack more/better audio hardware than any audio card (a PCIe card can't mount big fat tubes and amps, for example), they can be combined with other USB audio devices for upstream/downstream equalizer/amp/etc effects, and they're easier to reconfigure (with custom chips or whatnot) than a card bolted into a crowded computer. And disadvantages - their audio delivery can be interrupted/degraded by USB power/bandwidth constraints when sharing the bus with other USB devices, they invariably cost more. If you're willing to pay more (perhaps because you can use it on multiple computers, laptops, etc) and can connect the audio device alone on a USB controller/hub then external audio hardware is a good option. USB speakers/headphones seem to often cost less than their audio-jack counterparts.

Thanks for your response. The issue with the Xonar is that it doesn't have a digital input which is the main reason why I want the card. I did find that the HT Omega Fenix has a digital input. I may try that card. I have a legacy CAL CardDeluxe which I has a PCI interface. I may try a PCI > PCIe card to see if I can get it to work.

Karl-Johan
Level 7
Whetever you do dont go with Asus, if you do you will just get frustrated whith the non-existing driver support. While Creative write not so good drivers they are atleast trying. Asus will just screw you over. I will be shocked if they release Windows 10 drivers for any card, i'm sure they will just release driver for their new series as usual...

Sorry i'm fed up with Asus and their crappy drivers/software. Seriously thinking of going back to Soundblaster. Is the X7 any good?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Fractal Design North Svart TG * AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 145MB * ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero * G.Skill 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo * Crucial T700 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 5 * ASUS ROG Ryuo III 240 A-RGB * ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X OC Edition * be quiet! Dark Power 13 1000W * ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K * Dali Mentor Menuet SE 2.0 * Windows 11 Pro x64 Canary Insider