cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW Goes to sleep (possible overheat) when connected to external monitor

scottblalo
Level 7
I haven't managed to find anything on this particular issue I started having a few days ago, but it's difficult to search for, so I apologize if it has been covered.

So I typically play Battlefield 3 or Skyrim with a Samsung 23" LED monitor hooked into the laptop via HDMI. The problem is that, after playing for about 20 minutes, my monitor will go black, the power light will blink (indicating no source), and the computer will seemingly go to sleep. After about 5 minutes I can open the laptop, press the power button, and it will resume Windows.

The odd thing is that when I play on the laptop itself, I do not get this problem.

Monitoring the temps, I get about 85C on GPU on both external monitor and laptop screen, but I get 96C max on the external monitor to 93C on laptop screen.

While 96C seems a bit hot, will the computer force itself to sleep at that temp? I can't find anything in Windows or the BIOS that shows what temperature it will shut itself off at.

Tests I've done so far:
Swapped HDMI cable
Hooked up via VGA to same monitor
Hooked up to different screen
Updated NVidia drivers
All power savings options are set to Never

I've managed to prove it isn't the HDMI port, HDMI cable, monitor, or GPU overheating. Is 96C too hot, or should I be looking somewhere else?
5 REPLIES 5

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Is it consistently 20 minutes? And are you using external input devices when you're gaming (keyboard, mouse, gamepad, etc)?

I've never seen a computer go into sleep mode when it overheats....they just shut down. But if the computer is set to sleep after 20 minutes without local input, and you're using external devices, it seem possible that it's literally just going to sleep.

I am using all external devices (keyboard, mouse, and joystick) but it is not a uniform time.

I took the back panel off, vacuumed it out and it looked pretty clean. I played Battlefield for about 2 hours just now before it did it again. The CPU got up to 100C that time.

It doesn't happen at any normal interval so the sleeping from lack of input most likely isn't it. I also have it all set to Never and the LAN adapter set to wake the computer.

scottblalo
Level 7
I'm still having this issue. Left it on the desktop for a few hours with no sleep, so it is definitely something that only happens under load.

Could 96C cause a malfunction?

dstrakele
Level 14
96 C seems like living on the edge to me. I would not want to run at that temperature for an extended period of time.

What utility are you using to report temperatures?

Do you see any Errors or Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs? They could help point in a troubleshooting direction.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

scottblalo
Level 7
I'm using Core Temp for CPU temps and MSI Afterburner for GPU temp.

Any suggestions for why I might be running so hot? There's virtually no dust and the GPU never runs above 85C. Does this point to something wrong with the CPU cooling specifically?

I looked through the event logs and didn't see anything that seemed relevant. Some errors from Bonjour Service were the only errors that went up around the last time it happened.

The first gaming session of the day can typically last an hour or two before failure, so to me that seems like the CPU is just running too hot.