cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting with Monitor

Fumbles
Level 7
I have asus g74sx, it has Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M video card. I've recently bought the Benq XL2410T LCD monitor. When I first started it, it was working great. I was able to use DVI to run my games in 3d. I restarted my computer and now DVI works on start up, and will show the screen briefly if I unplug and plug it back in. Also when I plug DVI in my laptop's monitor turns off. So both screens go black when DVI is connected, Vga works find. Anyone know the solution?
10 REPLIES 10

dstrakele
Level 14
What NVIDIA driver version are you using?

If you click on the "Detect" button in the Screen Resolution dialog, does it resolve your issue?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Fumbles
Level 7
If I have the monitor hooked up via DVI then I can't see anything on my laptop, Doing it with VGA doesn't really do anything.

Driver version: 8.17.12.8562

fostert
Level 12
Fumbles wrote:
I have asus g74sx, it has Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M video card. I've recently bought the Benq XL2410T LCD monitor. When I first started it, it was working great. I was able to use DVI to run my games in 3d. I restarted my computer and now DVI works on start up, and will show the screen briefly if I unplug and plug it back in. Also when I plug DVI in my laptop's monitor turns off. So both screens go black when DVI is connected, Vga works find. Anyone know the solution?

Nice monitor mate; got me two of the 2410's side-by-side...
Um...sorry. My G74 does not have a DVI-out connector; only a DSUB (analog 15 pin VGA) and an HDMI-out.

Anyhow definitely sounds like an NVIDIA driver misconfiguration. I use an external too, and had to configure the driver properly to prevent the external display from being dropped when I closed the lid on the notebook.

Always nice to see a fellow Canadian on the forums 'eer!!
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Fumbles
Level 7
Yea.. great monitor.. I'm sure I'll love it lol. I'm actually using hdmi to DVI, I've also tried VGA to DVI aswell. It was working great before I restarted my computer... Haha I've been waiting so long to get 3d.. so disappointed now.. been searching for hours. So.. bump lol

Fumbles wrote:
Yea.. great monitor.. I'm sure I'll love it lol. I'm actually using hdmi to DVI, I've also tried VGA to DVI aswell. It was working great before I restarted my computer... Haha I've been waiting so long to get 3d.. so disappointed now.. been searching for hours. So.. bump lol

If you don't know what changed between "working" and "not-working," perhaps a system restore back to a point before the problem started would be an easy fix.

dstrakele
Level 14
Do you still have the VGA cable connected to the laptop when you attempt to connect your monitor with a DVI cable? If so, I suspect the GTX 560m is interpreting the attached VGA cable as a monitor. Since the card can only handle one external monitor, it may be turning the DVI output off.

Does pressing the Fn-F8 key combination change behavior?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Fumbles
Level 7
Good idea. I'll update after.

Fumbles
Level 7
haha.. such a simple fix, overlooked for hours. Thank you so much BrodyBoy.. I'm off to enjoy some 3d gaming now 🙂

Restoring worked. But everytime I turn it off the same issue happens. Something must be happening during start up. Does anyone have any suggestions at all. This is getting on my nerves having to restore it any time I restart. Also when I drive to up my refresh to 120 I don't have the option of 120.. I have to make a custom resolution and it seems to be always hit or miss.

Any suggestions at all? This "3d" ready is kinda bs not working and what not.