cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73sw wont start/restart if a USB 3.0 drive is plugged to the 3.0 Port

rexbaterna
Level 7
hey guys, i have a g73sw-bst6, im not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have noticed that my laptop wont boot if a USB 3.0 drive [external - (Seagate 1TB FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0)] is plugged in to the usb 3.0 port... but with the 2.0 ports the laptop will reboot/restart/cold boot with no problem...... just want to know if any of you guys experiences this same problem and if you have a fix for this that i maybe missed on the past posts.. trust me guys i searched on the forum already and no one seems to have this same kind of problem..

Please PM me just in case i dont reply right away with this post... or you can email me at "rexbaterna@yahoo.com"
G73sw - BST6
Intel Core I7 2630QM
Nvidia GTX 460M
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
9 REPLIES 9

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Have you tried to uninstall the USB 3.0 drives and then installed them again to see if the problems still occurs ?
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

i have tried uninstalling the Fresco USB 3.0 drivers with no luck whatsoever even wiped all my usb 30 drivers with DRIVERSWEEPER but still the same result, i have even reformatted my rig many times and installing drivers 1 by 1 so i can isolate the culprit but when i try to install USB 3.0 drivers (v3.5.4.0) when i restart the Laptop is stuck on a black screen right before windows 7 logo comes up, also the HDD light indicator does not blink/light up whatsoever...

can u try this with ur machine?

*plug in a USB 3.0 1TB external hard drive or higher (preferably Seagate GoFlex) to your USB 3.0 port then RESTART and see if you can recreate my problem. -------- [Note]: if i plug in to my 2.0 ports there is no problem and my rig boots up smoothly... the problem seems to be only occuring on the USB 3.0 port...

*please update me on this this thread if you have any result or may know someone who had the same problem with a fix if possible... you can also reach me at [rexbaterna@yahoo.com]
G73sw - BST6
Intel Core I7 2630QM
Nvidia GTX 460M
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

I have a G73SW-BST6 and mine does the same thing. If anything is plugged in to the USB 3.0 it freezes at the boot screen. I've been looking into it but no luck. Maybe its a BIOS problem, I really dont know.

*somehow i am relieved that i am not the only one experiencing this problem with the stock G73sw-BST6

*anyone who has had this same problem and had found a fix? please share your ideas guys.. this bug is really annoying.

*I am calling out to the "gurus and black belters" of this forum to please give any ideas.. and to those with same hardware could you please emulate the conditions [plug in a usb 3.0 drive to usb 3.0 port and restart] and see if your rig boots up or gets stuck at boot screen...

*how do i contact ASUS admin or anyone that can actually help make a fix for this bug [BIOS or Driver] doesnt matter as long as this gets FIXED

contact me at [rexbaterna@yahoo.com]
G73sw - BST6
Intel Core I7 2630QM
Nvidia GTX 460M
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

rexbaterna wrote:
and to those with same hardware could you please emulate the conditions [plug in a usb 3.0 drive to usb 3.0 port and restart] and see if your rig boots up or gets stuck at boot screen...

I just tried to replicate the error situation and couldn't. I plugged a WD USB 3.0 Passport drive into the USB 3.0 port and booted. Boot proceeded normally, and once loaded, Windows recognized the device and opened an Autoplay Window.

As I've mentioned previously when this issue has come up, I've got a couple different USB 3.0 drives that I've used on three different G74s. I have never had any kind of issue using the drives in 3.0 mode (and now, no issue booting with them plugged in, which I've never had reason to try before). I think this suggests that we're not dealing with some fundamental BIOS bug, but with problematic software configurations.

My configuration was pretty much always the same on each machine: a very clean Windows installation.....just Windows and essential drivers, no Asus software (including Fresco 3.5.4.0) , and no extra power profile manipulation aside from Windows' own Balanced or High Performance modes.

I also have a full Asus G74SX installation on disk. Sometime soon, I'll try replicating the error under OEM installation conditions and report back.

fuzon1337
Level 10
I don't have the Seagate 1TB FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0 but I used a WD 320GB USB 3.0 and my notebook ran fine from cold boot up and restart.

You could go into BIOS and choose "Load Optimized Defaults" to see if that changes anything.

You could PM Brian@asus or one of the admins in this forum to help you out. (admins got @asus in their nickname 😉 )

I hope you get this fixed 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
I don't have the Seagate 1TB FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0 but I used a WD 320GB USB 3.0 and my notebook ran fine from cold boot up and restart.

You could go into BIOS and choose "Load Optimized Defaults" to see if that changes anything.

You could PM Brian@asus or one of the admins in this forum to help you out. (admins got @asus in their nickname 😉 )

I hope you get this fixed 🙂

* I have done this already even before when i was using BIOS 203 [i am now on BIOS 205] with still no luck...

* Yeah i forgot to mention it occurs only to drive of capacities 750 GB and up... I also have a USB 3.0 750 GB WD Passport and the same issue happens, but doesnt when i use a usb 2.0 Flash Drives... so i guess this is limited to higher capacity drives.

* I have also set BOOT Option Priority 1 to Internal Notebook Hard Drive so there is no way that BIOS will start booting up my External device first... >>> but for some reason, the boot up process seems to choke cause i dont see any flicker of light from my HDD Activity Indicator.

* Is there any posiblity that
(1)my bios could be looking at my External HDD first for a boot manager which obviously it doesnt have that's why it chokes? OR
(2)my BIOS just simply cant handle having something plugged into the USB 3.0 port during bootup? Im guessing power issues? or just plain BIOS not actually telling my computer to really boot up from my internal hard drive [specially when it is 750GB and UP] even after i set it to. I will try to contact Brian...
G73sw - BST6
Intel Core I7 2630QM
Nvidia GTX 460M
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

JRd1st
Level 12
I think there's a USB charging option in the BIOS - turn it on and see if that helps.

BTW, Brian has gone to greener pastures. Pm MarshallR@asus, instead.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Hi folks,

Any idea or solution for this issue? Whenever the HDD is plugged to the USB3 port Win7 will not boot (black screen after ASUS logo).

It boot normally if the same drive is plugged in USB2