cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there ever be a new BIOS again for the Maximus VII line?

Quixote
Level 7
Hi everyone,

This is for those who have had other Asus boards or who know something about this.

It would make sense (commercially, at least) that Asus eventually end support for a certain line of boards, especially after they release a new line on top of it. I have read as much in these forums.

However, I just purchased the mobo I have (M7F) in June, so I'm wondering if I can expect Asus to support this board (with updates, BIOS updates, etc.) for the next six months or so, or is it over for this board in the context of their most recent releases (Maximus VIII boards)?

I'm just curious about others' experiences. And also, if Asus does indeed end support for its mobos after a year being out, are there manufacturers that don't do that? Or do they all end support after a year or so?
10 REPLIES 10

Burner27
Level 7
You cannot live like that. Eventually all boards will stop getting support because of the situation you stated. Same thing can be said of Microsoft. Why do you think they stopped support for windows XP/Windows 2003 Server? It's not financially wise for them to offer support on technology that is that old when they have their flagship software to support.

Burner27: You cannot live like that. Eventually all boards will stop getting support because of the situation you stated. Same thing can be said of Microsoft. Why do you think they stopped support for windows XP/Windows 2003 Server? It's not financially wise for them to offer support on technology that is that old when they have their flagship software to support.

I know, Burner. If you read the original post, I point out that I realize it's inevitable. I wasn't complaining about that reality as much as I was trying to get an idea about how long Asus and other companies will actually support their mobo lines. I'm well-aware that it is a necessity in almost any industry to phase support out for old tech or products. Wha I had really asked was (at least in my mind), what's the time frame for a motherboard in general? (and) How long can I expect this M7F to be even partially supported? That was my question since this has been my first build, and my first time buying a motherboard myself. Apologies if I wasn't clear. Thanks for your comment, though.

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi Quixote,

You need not worry to much about BIOS updates for motherboards, unless the company closes it's doors in the early life-cycle of their recent motherboards. BIOS's are updated as needed due to issues/bugs that arise the first year or two after original release. Such as supported CPU compatibility and OS versions to an extent, hardware compatibility, etc. So in this time period everything is normally fixed so no further issues. BIOS's are quite different than OS's, they don't need constant fixing.

I have a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE motherboard in my current rig that I still use (released October 2004), http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php@pMODEL_NAME=Fatal1ty+AA8XE&fMTYPE=LGA775 Abit had released 5 updates above the original BIOS within the first 12 month's of release. The ABIT motherboard company closed it's doors back in 2009. I have the newest CPU it supports (Intel P4 3.73GHZ Extreme Edition), and it's capable of running Windows 7 64bit with no problems. It's latest BIOS was released in October 2005, and Windows 7 was released in October 2009, so no problems besides being slow compared to today's technology.

I know ABIT isn't ASUS... "but" was a cutting edge motherboard manufacturer like ASUS and maybe a few others.

I just looked up an older ASUS motherboard "P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3, October 2011" within ASUS Support pages, and it has 4 updates above the original release spread over a 13 month period. http://www.asus.com/US/Motherboards/P8Z68_DELUXEGEN3/ The date on first Bios is "October 2011", the latest BIOS "November 2012".

I hope this calms your concerns.

Ntwlf wrote:
Hi Quixote,

You need not worry to much about BIOS updates for motherboards, unless the company closes it's doors in the early life-cycle of their recent motherboards. BIOS's are updated as needed due to issues/bugs that arise the first year or two after original release. Such as supported CPU compatibility and OS versions to an extent, hardware compatibility, etc. So in this time period everything is normally fixed so no further issues. BIOS's are quite different than OS's, they don't need constant fixing.

I have a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE motherboard in my current rig that I still use (released October 2004), http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php@pMODEL_NAME=Fatal1ty+AA8XE&fMTYPE=LGA775 Abit had released 5 updates above the original BIOS within the first 12 month's of release. The ABIT motherboard company closed it's doors back in 2009. I have the newest CPU it supports (Intel P4 3.73GHZ Extreme Edition), and it's capable of running Windows 7 64bit with no problems. It's latest BIOS was released in October 2005, and Windows 7 was released in October 2009, so no problems besides being slow compared to today's technology.

I know ABIT isn't ASUS... "but" was a cutting edge motherboard manufacturer like ASUS and maybe a few others.

I just looked up an older ASUS motherboard "P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3, October 2011" within ASUS Support pages, and it has 4 updates above the original release spread over a 13 month period. http://www.asus.com/US/Motherboards/P8Z68_DELUXEGEN3/ The date on first Bios is "October 2011", the latest BIOS "November 2012".

I hope this calms your concerns.

Thank you. That's good to know. I appreciate your thoughtful post. Thanks for the link.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I remember when I heard that abit had closed shop. I had run a few nf7-s boards in my pc's which had good performance back in the day. Asus is still my preferred brand and I plan to stick with them.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Margus
Level 7
I have M7H what i can tell i never had issues so often with older gen boards then with m7h bought it 1 year ago board acting weird since beginning.
Issues i had in past
USB devises dropped off
Bios was carbage serval months asus removed them
Bios screen freezed
games act weird issues with vsync and monitor refresh rate all stutters so i bought monitor witch eleminate blur otherwise this board is bad in my vision
Nvidia told me what the hell going with this board nobody wants fix issue.
I not have to complain about stability of this board its perfect like rest of asus boards.
Most issues i fixed itself instead asus by programming bios chip again full recovery.
what is good now is that thing is stable no crashes all work fine usb not drop off its work now.
But most annoying issue still with monitor refreshrate, vsync and stuttering that thing keep me think twce to buy any ROG boards in future is it made for games or for what not all games have issues but its still.
If you play MMOS most that issue scream there if you not have good monitor witch eleminate blur and frame stuttering at 100Hz - 144Hz

Margus wrote:
I have M7H what i can tell i never had issues so often with older gen boards then with m7h bought it 1 year ago board acting weird since beginning.
Issues i had in past
USB devises dropped off
Bios was carbage serval months asus removed them
Bios screen freezed
games act weird issues with vsync and monitor refresh rate all stutters so i bought monitor witch eleminate blur otherwise this board is bad in my vision
Nvidia told me what the hell going with this board nobody wants fix issue.
I not have to complain about stability of this board its perfect like rest of asus boards.
Most issues i fixed itself instead asus by programming bios chip again full recovery.
what is good now is that thing is stable no crashes all work fine usb not drop off its work now.
But most annoying issue still with monitor refreshrate, vsync and stuttering that thing keep me think twce to buy any ROG boards in future is it made for games or for what not all games have issues but its still.
If you play MMOS most that issue scream there if you not have good monitor witch eleminate blur and frame stuttering at 100Hz - 144Hz

Did you try to get ASUS to replace the mobo? Maybe it was a bad board.

Margus
Level 7
its not bad board thats the problem there is no issues with stability no crashes no anything what canbe translated to bad board.
The only issue is that vsync and refresh rate then asus sent me to nvidia fix the issue nvidia not intrested to fix
i know in guild many ppl who own maximus series board with z87 they no have sutch issues. its completly bios issue nothing else. whay only MMOS have sutch behaivor witch made with bad engine and graphics support

Margus wrote:
its not bad board thats the problem there is no issues with stability no crashes no anything what canbe translated to bad board.
The only issue is that vsync and refresh rate then asus sent me to nvidia fix the issue nvidia not intrested to fix
i know in guild many ppl who own maximus series board with z87 they no have sutch issues. its completly bios issue nothing else. whay only MMOS have sutch behaivor witch made with bad engine and graphics support

Ah, OK. I understand. I'm sorry that's happening. I believe the same is true about the ROG Front Base Panel. The current BIOS (2801) seems to have fouled up some of the functions on it, so that, for example, the CPU Frequency always reads 0000, while the other readouts seem to work. However, some of the editing functions don't work on the panel either. I have checked all of the connections, and I understand the basic directions, but it still doesn't operate as advertised, and it began doing so after the newest BIOS update, from what I remember. I doubt ASUS will address this any time soon due to this being a year-old board line.