cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over clocking the 6700 CPU with water cooling OK but my GTX 980 Ti is running 90ºC's

spanishflyer
Level 7
I'm no geek at overclocking and this is by first PC tower build for more than 20 years!!

I put together a nice gaming/graphics work PC using a Z170 Deluxe, Intel 6700, Kraken water cooler (dual fan), 32GB DDR 4 ram and an MSI GTX 980 Ti 6GB; as an OS drive I use a SATA SSD 1TB Samsung EVO 840. All of it is fed by a 1000W Corsair RM 1000.

I have two big bottlenecks ere; one: My lack of experience and two: the GeForce GTX 980 Ti reaching temperatures as high as 90ºC.

Up till now I have allowed the Bios setup to automatically reach a 15% increase, since I dare not touch any of the parameters shown in the AI Suite 3.

But before we get into how to bring the CPU to its full potential (right now in Crysis 3 reaching the lousy 30-40ºC), I have to address the overheating of the GPU (MSI GTX 980TI 6GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB). If I had known then, I would have gone for the water cooled version EVGA The GTX 980 Ti HYBRID.

Is there any way I can cool down the GPU before I think of over-clocking?

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer
5 REPLIES 5

spanishflyer
Level 7
Sorry, forgot the OS, Windows 7 64 bits
S.F

Menthol
Level 14
spanishflyer, nice system you have built, the video card you have supposedly runs quite and cool but cards with this type of heatsink dump the heated air into the case so good case airflow is a must, intake and exhaust fans that remove the heat will help a lot. Are you using any video card overclocking software like MSI Afterburnner. You can set a fan profile to increase the fan speed at a lower temperature than the video cards bios to keep the card from reaching those temperatures but you still need to expel that heat from the case.

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks a lot Menthol,
I will try using the MSI afterburner to increase the fan speed as you suggest.
The MSI GeForce I have only has one fan and exhausts the air through the back of the PC case, not inside and the Kraken CPU cooler is also pushing air via its two fans, through the cooler and exhausting to the exterior on the top of the box. Additionally I have a frontal 150 mm fan, and two 200 mm fans, top and side panel, all three blowing air into the case; the side panel one blows air directly on the Graphics card and the mother board. One last fan 150mm on the rear of the case that is extracting air from the case (tower type) NZXT Phantom 820. So basically I believe there is plenty of air being constantly refreshed in the case.
I do however believe that I can increase the speed of its fan on the GTX 980Ti and go from there (using as you suggested, the MSI Afterburner; what worries me that it starts becoming a bit noisier, and for that reason I have just found a kit EVGA sells, the EVGA Hybrid Liquid Cool for GeForce GTX 980 Ti for "only" $160 or so (possibly 50% more here in Spain...), but still cheaper than having to buy the whole GeForce from EVGA....

Still I will try out the fan adjustment and see how it goes.

Thanks again and best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Keller1234
Level 7
you may be able to return the card citing overheating issues and get the water-cooled one after?

what are warrantys for 😛

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks for the suggestion Keller1234, I know I can do that, but it will be too complicated and what is worse, I will have to return this one and wait for ages till I get the water cooled one; the supplier is in Germany.

However in the mean time and using MSI Afterburner I have adjusted the GPU fan to run at max speed when reaching about 70ºC and have managed to cool it down a bit.... but the fan noise is totally unacceptable.

I have as I mentioned above found the EVGA kit and I'm going for it; plenty of room in my Phantom 820.

Will keep you posted.
B.R.

Spanish Flyer