cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Paging File Can Mess with stability Testing

Pleot
Level 8
To anyone who can have similar problems:

I was having this problem with overclocking - On a fresh reboot all stability and stress tests would pass without any glitch. But overnight when I would run the tests again they would fail, rendering me and my overclocking attemps very frustrated. Something was happening after some hours, and I tended to think it was the hardware and the voltages were failing.

I started having these dreadful nightmares and these two huge bags appeared under my eyes, started walking around like I was a zombie with this voice inside my head banging all the time - " your overclock is very naughty, ahhhhahhh" ;D

Then, I found out that my paging file was the culprit, the damn thing on auto would change on its own and would force errors on stress testing programs because of the memory block size..

So I found my way around the correct paging file size for my memory size (16 Gb) and now the stability tests will run the same way either on fresh boot or after long hours of up time.
5 REPLIES 5

SB_NL_
Level 9
What is your correct paging file size for 16Gb?

Korth
Level 14
You can disable this paging entirely with >8GB (let alone 16GB) - unless you're filling up memory with a RAMDisk or playing three games simultaneously or something. It took Microsoft most of a decade and many WinOS revisions to fix basic problems like paging activity interfering with defrag, good luck getting it to play nice with non-Microsoft apps.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Pleot
Level 8
I have set it to 8634 Mb,

Previously I had found out that realbench would crash when choosing 16 Gb memory size. But realbench would not crash when I ran aida64 bench test before running realbench. It turns out that aida64 would change the size of the paging file to 8634, and that was the reason realbench would run after aida and would crash otherwise. I also found out that upon boot the page file would allways be 1024 and that is why realbench would crash unless I ran aida before. Turns out that windows system would lock the paging size after some time when set to automaticaly set the page file size.

So I just manually set the size of the page file to 8634 (half to total mem size it seems) just like aida 64 did.

And now the problem of stress tests failing when the computer was on for very long periods of time is gone, thank goodness 🙂

Thx for your explanation. I've read a few different approaches from doubling you fysical memsize to half memsize and even a fully researched 24Gb by a video editor (he concluded it gets worse after that, but that was a completely other system and older OS so...)

Since I work with Multimedia Applications like Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Protools/Cubase I'm always a bit "scared" turning off paging. In the old days (W7) I had numerous problems, application warnings about not having a paging file and some wouldn't start at all.

But I'll give it a try again, to see what gives 😎

Pleot
Level 8
Nice to be usefull,
If it gets better let me know, if you remember ...

Greetings ...