Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrule2015 View Post
    Does these SSD M.2 also work for model G752VL? Asus tech says that SSD M.2 is not comptaible for any SSD even with the PCIE M.2 slots. Can anyone please confirm if this is true?
    fyi.
    Although the G752 series and GL752 series sound pretty similar, they really aren't that similar, so just wanted to remind everyone to be careful of this when checking info for each.
    It probably didn't help that this thread was in the 'G series' notebooks section before though, but I've just moved it to the 'GL series' notebooks. Thanks!

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrule2015 View Post
    Does these SSD M.2 also work for model G752VL? Asus tech says that SSD M.2 is not comptaible for any SSD even with the PCIE M.2 slots. Can anyone please confirm if this is true?
    No those SSDs will not work in any G752 model, You need NVMe.

Samsung OEM letters start with MZVPV for NVMe, MZHPV is AHCI and it wont work

Any Samsung 950 pro will work as they are all NVMe.

New ROGer Array

Lightbulb Upgrade SSD M.2 from 128GB to 256MG - I assume same as a system bought w/o SSD

Quote Originally Posted by stezo View Post
    Hi guys

I just bought a brand new ASUS ROG GL752VW-T4108D laptop.
    Very nice device.

Unfortunatelay I have an issue where I need your input.

Since Asus only offer SSDs with 128 and 256 GB, I bought the model without SSD and bought the following SSD additionally:
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/s...-a1352207.html

Unfortunately the laptop doesn't recognize the SSD.
    It doesn't show up in the Bios. Also in Windows 10 and Linux (via lspci) it isn't visible.
    The Windows 10 setup also doesn't offer the SSD.

The latest bios version 205 is already installed on the laptop and I think I already tried all available settings in the Bios.

Now I have the following questions:

1) Should this SSD work in genral?
    2) Should I see the device as bootable device in the Bios?
    3) @Asus support: Is there a newer Bios version which would solve this issue?

In case this SSD is not suitable fo this laptop, can someone suggest a working 500 GB or 512 GB SSD?

Thanks in advance,
    Steffen

Steffen, I purchased the ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD (ROG Metallic) and had to jump through hoops, educate myself and make a few mistakes but I did it successfully. I'm not going to post those here but at the bottom of the thread sonewer people with the same issues can see what I did.

New ROGer Array

Upgrading your SSD card

I purchased the ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD (ROG Metallic). I needed a lot of the features and I am a 100% traveling consultant who usually has to buy a new 17-inch screen HP every year. I got tired of it so I started looking and found ASUS rated higher than HP The only way to get the features I wanted was to step up to a gaming laptop. I didn't want to spend $1,800 or $2,400+ for a but I dropped $1,259 on this machine because it had wanted. Since I had been buying regular go to work laptops for years I really wasn't aware of the SSD technology that could be used for a primary drive. However, I soon realized 128 gigabytes was probably not going to work for me even though I directed all of my user folders to the HDD Drive. So here's what I learned.

· The M.2 card was SATA, not PCIe like so many posts said it was. Someone in this thread mentioned that the Samsung 950 would work. That is wrong, the Samsung 950 is there an PCIe card. I know because I had to return it. The correct card, or at least the one I know that works well, is the Samsung 850 EVO SATA 250GB card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    · This particular model will only go as high as 256GB
    · just a word of advice, the screw that you need to use to set it in place is a huge pain in the ass
    · since I already had an existing 128GB SSD card I needed to clone it to the new one. If you're working with machine that doesn't start out with the SSD as the primary cloning might not be necessary unless you're doing it from your HDD Drive and have the space.
    · to clone the new SSD 256 gigabyte card I had to purchase 2 accessories. You might find one part that does it all. I needed a USB compatible card that would accept the M.2 80mm SSD SATA drive. In my case I needed to buy the USB adapter separately.
    · just plugging that all in is only the start. I happen to have Acronis True Image which had the capability to recognize the new Drive and that it hadn't been initialized. Once initialized the drive showed up like any other Drive-In File Explorer.
    · you can use any software at that point too clone the 128 gigabyte drive to the 256 gigabyte Drive connected via USB
    · from here it's a simple process to open the panel on the back of the machine, replace the 128 with the 256 and figure out how to get that screw to hold it down. I gave up with the screw and actually inserts and padding to hold it down.
    · I put the panel back on, machine over, booted up, and in about 10 seconds my system was up and I have a 180 gigabyte space left on my new primary 256 SSD card
    · I hope this helps someone tech support is useless. First they say it really can’t be done because that was the way the manufacturer built it. Then they said I’d need to find a qualified technician and even that would void the warranty. So in case anything happens in the next 12 months I’ll just stick the original 128 card back in and ship it to them to fix

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ticklepig View Post
    I purchased the ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD (ROG Metallic). I needed a lot of the features and I am a 100% traveling consultant who usually has to buy a new 17-inch screen HP every year. I got tired of it so I started looking and found ASUS rated higher than HP The only way to get the features I wanted was to step up to a gaming laptop. I didn't want to spend $1,800 or $2,400+ for a but I dropped $1,259 on this machine because it had wanted. Since I had been buying regular go to work laptops for years I really wasn't aware of the SSD technology that could be used for a primary drive. However, I soon realized 128 gigabytes was probably not going to work for me even though I directed all of my user folders to the HDD Drive. So here's what I learned.

· The M.2 card was SATA, not PCIe like so many posts said it was. Someone in this thread mentioned that the Samsung 950 would work. That is wrong, the Samsung 950 is there an PCIe card. I know because I had to return it. The correct card, or at least the one I know that works well, is the Samsung 850 EVO SATA 250GB card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    · This particular model will only go as high as 256GB
    · just a word of advice, the screw that you need to use to set it in place is a huge pain in the ass
    · since I already had an existing 128GB SSD card I needed to clone it to the new one. If you're working with machine that doesn't start out with the SSD as the primary cloning might not be necessary unless you're doing it from your HDD Drive and have the space.
    · to clone the new SSD 256 gigabyte card I had to purchase 2 accessories. You might find one part that does it all. I needed a USB compatible card that would accept the M.2 80mm SSD SATA drive. In my case I needed to buy the USB adapter separately.
    · just plugging that all in is only the start. I happen to have Acronis True Image which had the capability to recognize the new Drive and that it hadn't been initialized. Once initialized the drive showed up like any other Drive-In File Explorer.
    · you can use any software at that point too clone the 128 gigabyte drive to the 256 gigabyte Drive connected via USB
    · from here it's a simple process to open the panel on the back of the machine, replace the 128 with the 256 and figure out how to get that screw to hold it down. I gave up with the screw and actually inserts and padding to hold it down.
    · I put the panel back on, machine over, booted up, and in about 10 seconds my system was up and I have a 180 gigabyte space left on my new primary 256 SSD card
    · I hope this helps someone tech support is useless. First they say it really can’t be done because that was the way the manufacturer built it. Then they said I’d need to find a qualified technician and even that would void the warranty. So in case anything happens in the next 12 months I’ll just stick the original 128 card back in and ship it to them to fix

256 GB???????

That's wrong. I've been running my GL752VW with the 500 GB SSD of the same model, and it's been working great. It can probably take a 1 TB SSD with no issues, but from my own experience, the 500 GB has no issues whatsoever on the GL752VW.

New ROGer Array

Hi guys
    I have Asus G750JH with the proprietary ssd 2x128 setup that hook onto an M.2 NGFF SATA" and 1 hdd slot of 1 TB
    Since failure of the ssd twice 6 months apart and no actual trust in the service provided by asus in Greece i want to change this setup since it seams it has great issues
    Can anybody provide me with a solution to this specific model?
    Has anybody successfully dismounted this adapter M.2 NGFF SATA in order to install an ssd of their choice?
    In the first service and under warranty they told me that it was a motherboard issue and that they changed the motherboard (something i find strange to believe )
    The notebook runs fine now because i cancelled the ssd setup and i am running only on the remaining hdd of 1tb
    Thus proving that the motherboard is working but something is happening with this adapter that keeps burning the ssds
    Certainly i have to find another solution than the Asus service since they probably await me after the complaint i filed to tell me that a new motherboard is needed again and the notebooks warranty just expired
    Another fact is if someone has a similar problem be aware that no extended warranty is given not even for the motherboard they changed
    I am very calm at this point finding out that i will not throw away a 2000 euro unused notebook and i want to create awareness of asus practice concerning high end machines
    I lost two times files needed for my work and other ones like family photos that nobody can replace and the answer i got is : we changed your motherboard what else you want?
    Any help would be great concerning the ssd setup!

New ROGer Array

i have the same problem, but is not just simple to make a sm 951 work in a gl752vw,
    the bios is not recognising the m2 ssd,
    which settings do I need to improve to work?
    the laptop spcs should be working but in reality doesn't works
    what we have to do?

ROG Member Array

Without thinking too much I purchased a Samsung 850 evo 512gb, of course it wasn't recognized. The manual states that a m.2 ssd sata will not work. It must have a NVME interface, so I'm hoping I will get the correct one now also hoping that the sata one is taken back by Amazon.ca
    I have the G752VS- db71. with bios #306 which has CSM greyed out??
    Last edited by g53ok; 11-22-2016 at 01:06 AM. Reason: not complete

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by g53ok View Post
    Without thinking too much I purchased a Samsung 850 evo 512gb, of course it wasn't recognized. The manual states that a m.2 ssd sata will not work. It must have a NVME interface, so I'm hoping I will get the correct one now also hoping that the sata one is taken back by Amazon.ca
    I have the G752VS- db71. with bios #306 which has CSM greyed out??
    fyi.
    Unfortunately, our model names can be confusing, but the G752 series is completely different from the GL752 series despite the somewhat similar sounding names.

If you haven't tried it, disable secure boot, save and exit the bios, and get back into the bios to enable launch CSM.
    I may try to edit this after I check into it more though on a different model since I don't have a G752VS around to check right now, but something probably better discussed in a new thread if it doesn't help. Thanks!
    Last edited by cl-Albert@ROG; 11-22-2016 at 01:45 AM.

New ROGer Array

on back side on the laptop say: Suport SSD M2 2280 sata only
    and i have sm951 ahci
    and gl752vw
    where is the problem?
    the bios is diferent then adree models...

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast