cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Stuttering Likely Caused by Mobo power issues

Horace
Level 7
Hi all,

I have gone to extensive lengths to find out what is causing my computer to stutter. When it stutters the entire computer stutters including the graphics, processing, and sound. I have tried very many things. This includes extensively testing my SSD and HDD, testing my RAM(memtest86+), testing my PSU, and trying to see if it was my graphics card(couldnt quite figure anyhtign out of this one). I have been trying to fix the stuttering for quite some time now and am wondering if any of you have any thoughts. I am thinking it is an issue with the motherboards power (not PSU) and that i'll need to use the mobo warranty. which would also be nice if anyone could tell me how to use.

SPECS:
Windows 10(from win8 free upgrade)
AMD FX 8350
Crosshair V Formula-Z(Motherboard)
Radeon HD7870
Corsair Vengeance 16GB(RAM)
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB
Corsair HX1200i
1TB HDD(cant remember manufacturer)

I would love any suggestions. Thank you for reading and thank you for posting/answering.

Adding a few things--

I have formatted the computer multiple times, around three, I have tested all of the latest BIOS and drivers, I had my previous PSU replaced and got the new one on warranty just recently so I feel like it's good(though I guess it could be bunk).
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hello Horace

Welcome to the ROG forum.

A few things come to mind after reading your post.

1) Your cpu is getting hot and throttling
2) Your 128GB ssd is maxed to it's capacity
3) Connect both the 8 pin and 4 pin cpu power cables
4) Try another gpu
5) Try the latest bios version as well as all the latest drivers.

Korth
Level 14
How exactly have you tested your PSU? Just FYI, I have little faith in the monitoring and reporting tools built into Corsair digital PSUs. A proper PSU testing device or DMM measurements would be far more reliable and accurate for diagnosing a bad PSU.

The easiest way to rule out PSU-related faults is to swap PSUs. Try a known-good PSU in your stuttering platform, try the questionable PSU in a known-good platform.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]