cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd boot behavior on RVE not stable

RAP66
Level 7
Hi all,

My first RVE using 1701 was very unreliable. It would randomly lock up; browsing the web, playing games etc. Just before it would lock all of the system fans would spin up and any inputs by keyboard/mouse would get very choppy. I've tried reinstalling the OS, updating drivers, resetting the bios to "normal settings" etc. Nothing would prevent the system from locking. So I figured that the board was bad so I purchased a second MB. System was OC'd to 4.4g using the 5-way optimization. I do not use the OC panel. The bios would give code 40 or 66.

The new MB works better, BUT this one I need to reboot 2-3x before I get to the desktop. I did not reinstall the OS (I probably should have). During the boot-up I get code 40 most of the time and get to the login screen. At this point I reboot using the OS and the bios will post AA and everything works as it should. Now this system does lock up sort of. Just like before the system gets choppy and sluggish but so far has not done a total lockup. I tell the pc to reboot and during the post I get code 96 but no logon screen. At this point IO need to hit the reset button a few times to get the system working and the bios will post code AA. Sometimes I need to hard start the system in order to get it to boot up. This MB is OC'd to 4.2 using the 5-way optimization. On t he plus side this MB does not lock up like the previous board while playing games.

I'm stumped! I have never had a system behave like this. What do you suggest? I would like to get this system reliable, stable and still be able to OC it to take advantage of the components I have.

Thanks

Rich
19 REPLIES 19

Chino
Level 15
I would make sure the motherboard is running the latest BIOS. Then what I would do is clear the CMOS and run the system at stock defaults. If your system is still presenting problems at stock, then proceed to test your RAM using HCI Memtest or Google Stress App for Linux.

What speed are you running your memory kit at?

Have you changed any voltages,timings etc for your Memory kit in bios?

Frankly I'd trust 5 way optimisation like a hole in the head, manual overclock is the way to go really, especially if you want ot get the most out of your Memory kits speed and your CPU overclock.

But as Chino has said go back to your stock CPU speed/Ram speed see if it still does it, after that first candidate on this board would be your memory kit and the voltages required for it to operate correctly.

And the other question is you have the R5E board not the R5V/3.1 board right?

RAP66
Level 7
At the moment I'm not sure what the memory is clocked at because I used the software to do the OCing for me. According to mem Tweak its at 2400Mhz. This is the ram I have Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB CMD32GX4M4A2666C16. When I put my system together this was one of the few DDR4 available and it was pricey.

I have not done any changes to the voltages or timings, I left that to the program to make any changes.

Since I change the board I did get the R5V/3.1 the bios that was installed was 1701

I'll got back to base settings and report back.

-Rich

It should show you in the Bios, that particular kit isn't on the QVL list so you may have some fun and games with it.

How comfortable are you using the bios?

At the moment I'd set your system in the bios for 100 bclk, 100 CPU strap, 30 cpu multiplier, scroll down ill you see cpu power management click on it then go in and disable Speedstep and Turbo, it'll stop your processors voltages going all over the place and your system will always be at 3ghz with a 30x multiplier.

Around that area you'll see Dram CHA & dram CHB voltages, these are the bootup voltages for your ram for me I use 1.35v for both, then enter the Dram timings section and enter your kits memory timings which are prolly 16 18 18 18 36 (you can get these off the XMP scrolldown along with the DRAM voltage for the speed you intend to run at, or off the side of the DIMM), scroll down till you see the eventual dram CHA CHB voltages, these are the voltages your ram operates at after booting and they normalise to these, again I'd enter 1.35v for both.

Once you have entered the voltage and timings for your kit come out and goto memory speed and select 2133mhz for now.

Reboot and run 14 instances of HCI memtest with 2048 put into each one and run at least 100% coverage on them all.

Then come back and say how you did.

Hawkstorm wrote:
It should show you in the Bios, that particular kit isn't on the QVL list so you may have some fun and games with it.

How comfortable are you using the bios?

At the moment I'd set your system in the bios for 100 bclk, 100 CPU strap, 30 cpu multiplier, scroll down ill you see cpu power management click on it then go in and disable Speedstep and Turbo, it'll stop your processors voltages going all over the place and your system will always be at 3ghz with a 30x multiplier.

Around that area you'll see Dram CHA & dram CHB voltages, these are the bootup voltages for your ram for me I use 1.35v for both, then enter the Dram timings section and enter your kits memory timings which are prolly 16 18 18 18 36 (you can get these off the XMP scrolldown along with the DRAM voltage for the speed you intend to run at, or off the side of the DIMM), scroll down till you see the eventual dram CHA CHB voltages, these are the voltages your ram operates at after booting and they normalise to these, again I'd enter 1.35v for both.

Once you have entered the voltage and timings for your kit come out and goto memory speed and select 2133mhz for now.

Reboot and run 14 instances of HCI memtest with 2048 put into each one and run at least 100% coverage on them all.

Then come back and say how you did.

Well so far with base settings (basically everything in the bios set to "auto") the system is a bit more stable. It does lock occasionally but not as often. On a cold boot I still get code 40 on the bios readout. so I need to reboot again and it will post to AA.

I'll try t he settings you suggest and report back - give me some time as I'm currently dealing with some drama at home.

With regards to the memory - when I bought the parts for this system it was one of the few DDR4 kits available and being corsair I figured it would work fine, plus I wanted 32GB. I do dabble with some AutoCAD programs for work that's why I went this route. Now that there are more DDR4 kits available I may consider changing the ram out to a more "qualified" brand. Do you have any suggestions?

Qwinn
Level 11
"On a cold boot I still get code 40 on the bios readout. so I need to reboot again and it will post to AA."

Code 40 is nothing to worry about - it just means that the last time you shut down your system went into a hibernation mode that enables faster booting. Your computer seems to take longer than normal to shut down, I bet. What it's doing is dumping the kernel and memory so that, when you decide to use your computer again, it just reads the kernel and memory back in and continues from where you left off rather than redoing the entire boot and reload OS process. Code 30 is a variant of that, so don't worry if you see that one either.

Be aware that the whole fast startup mechanism I just described is turned ON by default in Windows 10, so what you're experiencing is in line with what would be expected whenever you do a full shutdown. When you do a restart, it doesn't go into hibernation in the middle of the process so that's why that always results in an AA.

I've personally disabled hibernation and sleep modes on my Windows 10 completely, so my system shuts down quickly and I always get the AA when I start back up. If not seeing AA every time really bothers you, you could do that as well, but your cold boots will take a little longer.

Anyway, if all this time you've been considering 40 to be an error, you need to review your history and adjust your perceptions because everything was working properly every time you saw it.

Here's a link on how to enable/disable fast startup in Windows 10:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

As to code 66 or the lockup behavior you described, I can't speak to those. But 40 is every bit as stable as AA.

EDIT: See page 1-33 in the R5E manual, under "ACPI/ASL Checkpoints". It lists code 40 as "System is waking up from the S4 sleep state". It just happens to stay at 40 even after the system has finished waking up for whatever reason.

RAP66
Level 7
Hey Qwinn

I listed the bios codes that I was seeing when the system would lock up or act strange.

I thought I change the win10 settings to fastboot, I'll have to double check that. I also think I have it enabled in the bios as well...

Since my ram is not listed on the QVL list - which I did not pay attention to when I purchased the components for this system. I'm considering changing out the ram for one that is on the list.... Which make/model do you guys recommend?? I'd like to stay with 32GB of ram.

Thanks

Qwinn
Level 11
As I mentioned, fast startup is on by default in windows 10, so you didn't even need to turn it on. It bothered me when I first saw it too, but I did some research and figured out what it was. I didn't like how long it took to shut down, so I disabled it. You may want to as well, at least to see if it resolves your other issues. I wouldn't be shocked if the hibernation method used by Windows 10 hasn't had all the kinks worked out yet. You don't need to disable it in the BIOS, disabling it in Windows 10 (see the link in my last post) does the job thoroughly.

As for what RAM to get, these other guys can probably advise better than me. I've used G.Skill for a long time. I will say that I think it makes sense to focus more on the timings and latency than the frequency... you're better off with 2666 Mhz 15-15-15 than 3000 18-18-19 IMO.

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Firstly if you have the 3.1 board the first thing you should know is that they are different and each board has its own Bios revisions.

The highest revision for the 3.1 board is 1502.

Do not goto the wrong support page at Asus, goto the 3.1 support page and get drivers etc from there for the USB 3.1 board, DON'T flash the Bios with 1701 from the other board, its not meant for it if it is a 3.1 board and has 1701 on it then someone has flashed it to the wrong bios.

The 3.1 board comes with a 3.1 USB addon card, the other doesn't, make sure you know which one you have.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/HelpDesk_Download/

Failing that I don't think your overclock/Memory kit is fully stable, and I wouldn't trust AIsuites overclocking as far as I could throw it, I tried it on mine just to see, and it wouldn't even post, some swear by it I'm not one of em.

Have a good read of both the installing 3000mhz memory guide and the overclocking Haswell-E, as they all relate to 5960x, so should give you ideas what to set your voltages at, as far as overclocking goes.

For the moment though I'd try running your system at stock CPU settings after some OCCT testing, if you still have issues you can try tweak the system agent voltage, I have the Kit above the one you have the 2800CL16 kit which is on the QVL list (if you look I think its the 2nd/3rd one down on the 2800Mhz list).

I've had a major struggle with this board getting things stable and all the kits I've used have been corsair, though the first 2 kits were 16GB 3300GHZ kits which weren't on the QVL list, so I got the 2800Mhz 32GB one which runs at 2800/3000Mhz XMP which was, after a couple of weeks trying to get the first two kits working the 3rd 32GB kit went in easier though it started 'loosing' Ram and not detecting it in the sockets properly.

Setting the CHA/CHB Dram boot voltage to 1.35v on both and tweaking the system agent voltage to 1.2v seemed to stop it and any memory errors.

For you I'd sugest you go read both the 3000mhz memory installation guide, which explains setting up your RAM, and the system agent voltage, and the Overclocking Haswell-E guide on here to get some pointers first. And if you do try to overclock yourself, disable Speedstep and Turbo in CPU Power management before you start and get a static overclock working.

The Guides will give you a very good idea what to put in as far as voltages go, though they will vary according to your CPU some, that also goes for having to tweak System Agent, if required and how much as that relates to the memory controller on the CPU.

Your problem might be solved by simply tweaking the system agent voltage by 0.01 steps till you find a good spot for your cpu, It could also be a case that your cpu voltages aren't quite right, and need tweaking.

Picking up OCCT (free off the net google it) is not a bad idea and run the CPU test with a Large Data set, it will usually find problems fairly quickly, leave it going for about 1-3hrs to be sure. (I'd start with OCCT first at your current settings see what happens.)

Running HCI memtest and entering 2048 then run 14 copys of it at the same time all with 2048 entered in and run at least 100% coverage to test your ram is also a good idea.

If your Ram spits out ANY errors then you may need to tweak your system agent voltage, providing you have setup the Ram voltages for your kit in both the Boot and Eventual voltages in the Dram timings section, personally I'd enter them manually rather than trusting XMP to do it for you, that's for both your timings, and voltages.

Just go with the Kits recommended XMP timings for the frequency your going for, it tells you them on the XMP drop down and the Dram voltage.

One note though don't run the LINPACK test with the AVX option in OCCT, it generates a lot of heat, which is its purpose, that being to find problems on your overclock & instability caused by heat.

As I've no idea what voltage AISuite has set on your CPU, and might cause your CPU to get hot, though OCCT is verygood as it has a default 85deg cut out and will terminate any test if it detects your CPU going that high temp wise, one reason I recommend it and its simple to use and unlike other programs reports voltages etc accurately.

Also the Linpack test isn't the best one for finding certain problems the CPU test is the one you want.

Read both those guides and run OCCT CPU test then come back and tell how you faired easier to start from there I think.

If it fails and your system pukes then next step I'd would say is trying to get your Memory kit stable at Stock CPU settings and try testing again, it will tell you if you need to tweak the system agent some or not etc, the guide suggests overclocking your cpu first, then trying to get XMP working later.

Personally I've found it the other way round get your kit stable first and tweak system agent etc till its stable then try overclock the cpu, but everyone will jump in now and say I'm wrong. 🙂

But frankly everything will go tits up if your memory kits not stable, from dropping sticks out of bios to duimping HD's and SSD's out of bios all which I had on my build. Fun and games huh?

But first thing is first go read those guides and run OCCT CPU test for a few hours, then come back.