cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Extreme

jrrog1975
Level 7
I don't see many posts regarding the VIII extreme. Would it be a good alternative to the Hero (if Alpha isn't available soon)? Is it worththe cost difference? I would only do minor overclocking but all the other features seem cool.
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
The Maximus VIII Extreme is an amazing motherboard. If your budget permits it, it would be an excellent choice.

DamianStr
Level 8
I have the Maximus viii Extreme too and works fine 🙂

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to order the Extreme. Do you guys think the Hero Alpha will be any more stable than the Hero? I do wish we knew what the Alpha price will be.

One more question. I noticed that the on the Extreme that the m.2 and u.2 share same bandwidth. I don't think this is an issue on the Hero Alpha (per the manual). Do you guys see that as a big limitation?

Chino
Level 15

jrrog1975
Level 7
I went ahead and placed my order for the Extreme. B&H Photo has it for $479, and it's tax free. One more "OCD" question...do you guys think the Hero Alpha will have any advantages over the Extreme?

Chino
Level 15
From a quick glance, the Hero Alpha has an extra U.2 connector and the new RGB LED strip header. Other than that, there's nothing new.

Menthol
Level 14
The Extreme is an E-ATX board it is a little wider than the Hero or Hero Alpha, the Extreme has all the bells and whistles plus it may have better power delivery system and some overclocking friendly features, pcie lane switches, OC Panel, voltage read points, where the Alpha is a standard ATX board with most the features of the Extreme, still excellent overclocking features and RGB headers, there may be some cases that the Extreme may not fit in which you should check if you already have a specific case picked out. Both are top of the line feature packed beautiful motherboards

Is NVM express supported with m.2 on the Extreme? The manual only refers to NVM express with the u.2 port.