cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551JW heats up to 94°C!

Rasv21
Level 7
Hi everyone!,

Lately, I've be worried about the temperature that my laptop (GL551JW-DS71) reaches, that is about 94°C. I got the laptop about 8 days ago, but I tested it the first day.

I work with CG (3D modeling and rendering), and when the processor is in heavy load, like when it is rendering, it could heat until the degrees I named before, and it stays there until the render is done, which could be hours, I already use a coolpad which worked very well with my previous laptop, which was a HP Pavilion G4, and it decreased the temperatures from 80°C to 70-75°C in heavy load in the HP.

On the other hand, while heavy gaming the processor used to get 85°C, and the GPU is between 70-75°C, then, I putted the Max Processor State at 99% to disable TurboBoost and while heavy gaming it dropped the CPU temperature from 85°C to 80°C, but while rendering or making simulations the temperature still stays at 94°C.

I used XTU and HWMonitor to measure the temperature, I'll post some images of it below.

I already read some posts about this same topic, and I've been seeing that is something normal in gaming laptops, but still I am a little afraid as this could cause serious damages because this is the laptop I'll use for working and studying and it is a little difficult to me buying powerful computers every time while I do not have a good income.

I hope for your opinions, thanks in advance!.
9 REPLIES 9

aeolisio
Level 10
Rasv21 wrote:
Hi everyone!,

Lately, I've be worried about the temperature that my laptop (G551JW-DS71) reaches, that is about 94°C. I got the laptop about 8 days ago, but I test it the first day.

I work with CG (3D modeling and rendering), and when the processor is in heavy load, like when it is rendering, it could heat until the degrees I named before, and it stays there until the render is done, which could be hours, I already use a coolpad which worked very well with my previous laptop, which was a HP Pavilion G4, and it decreased the temperatures from 80°C to 70-75°C in heavy load in the HP.

On the other hand, while heavy gaming the processor used to get 85°C, and the GPU is between 70-75°C, then, I putted the Max Processor State at 99% to disable TurboBoost and while heavy gaming it dropped the CPU temperature from 85°C to 80°C, but while rendering or making simulations the temperature still stays at 94°C.

I used XTU and HWMonitor to measure the temperature, I'll post some images of it below.

I already read some posts about this same topic, and I've been seeing that is something normal in gaming laptops, but still I am a little afraid as this could cause serious damages because this is the laptop I'll use for working and studying and it is a little difficult to me buying powerful computers every time while I do not have a good income.

I hope for your opinions, thanks in advance!.

So you have already read posts that tell you that temp is normal but you want us to repeat that its normal again? Under 100 is normal. Please dont create a thread when you have already found the answer it just makes more for those of us trying to help to sort through.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello Rasv21

As you mention you use the laptop for 3d rendering. I also bought it for photo-video editing and also do not have that good income
in order to buy a new powerful laptop often

After one month of use and finding my self writing on the forum complaining for overheating etc for a laptop cost of 1200 euro does
not make me happy at all.

From what i searched i did not find somebody talking for so high temperatures as we do. Many of the threats are talking about gpu and
not cpu

if you have any further info please inform me. let s hope we will find a solution

thomkaran wrote:
Hello Rasv21

As you mention you use the laptop for 3d rendering. I also bought it for photo-video editing and also do not have that good income
in order to buy a new powerful laptop often

After one month of use and finding my self writing on the forum complaining for overheating etc for a laptop cost of 1200 euro does
not make me happy at all.

From what i searched i did not find somebody talking for so high temperatures as we do. Many of the threats are talking about gpu and
not cpu

if you have any further info please inform me. let s hope we will find a solution

Hi Thomkaran!,

Exactly, that reason is what made me write about it, in spite there are some threads where some members of the forum told it was normal, but there wasn't enough threads about it to calm me down, or even threads where people could be talking about the specific use that we make of the laptops, which makes either CPU or GPU, or sometimes both at once, going up to theirs 100%, and I think that we, as clients of Asus, deserve better answers or even articles explaining about this situation, because people that came from using normal laptops to use gaming laptops will find themselves with this problem and they will be very afraid of it, like I was, or well, like I am so far.

I would like to think that is normal because of the power of the laptop, there is four times more power than in the HP G4 enclosed in a chasis almost of the same size, and because of that they took in count making more effort in the hardware design or its distribution, and also its cooling system, but, in this topic I am no more than an amateur and because of that I am looking for a good answer.

I just hope this laptop can really handle these temperatures in long term, about $1000 is not few money, and it is an important part of our work and our studies.

Do not have any doubt that if I find more information I will let you know, on the other hand, keep your attention in this thread, lets wait for a good answer.

MrRuckus
Level 10
The best answer you're going to get:

Please install something that will show you the Tj Max value for your processor. The best program for this is CoreTemp. It can be grabbed here:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Then read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_temperature

Specifically, pay attention to this:
"In Intel processors, the core temperature is measured by a sensor. If the core reaches its TJMax, this will trigger a protection mechanism to cool the processor. If the temperature rises above the TJMax, the processor will trigger an alarm to warn the computer operator who can then discontinue the process that is causing the overheating or shut down the computer to prevent damage."

In other words, throttling will occur if you go over your TjMax value. You are below your TJMax value, so you have nothing to worry about. Its true that there is very little room, but thats why these laptops have variable speed fans. They speed up and down depending on the temps. You should really only worry if you see your processor break the TjMax value, and it starts to throttle, then there would be a problem. If you are below the TjMax by 20 degrees or by 1, this is the temps its designed to function under and it will not harm your laptop to run at that speed, as its designed to handle it.

Here's a picture from my desktop for reference. A lot of Intel processors have a TJMax of 100c. Anything below 100c you are completely safe, overclocked or not.

(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus
Level 10
I had a G53 at one point in time and saw temps close to 100c also, but it always stayed below. It was right there in the 90's, but stayed below.

You have to realize the smaller the space, the higher the temps, this is just the way it is. You simply dont have the space for heat dissipation. 15.6inch laptops are going to run hotter then 17+inch laptops because of space constraints. As long as you stay within the TjMax, you're fine.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Hi MrRuckus!

I just read the article you showed me, then I downloaded CoreTemp, and as you said the TJMax is 100°C, this was the information I needed to know, and understand why in other threads people said it was normal for this kind of laptops reaching those temps. So, when I need it, I could activate TurboBoost again without any problems!.

Thank you so much for your answer, it was really really helpful! Not just for me, but for everyone else that could have this doubt and come to read this thread! Now I am more calmed about this. Thanks!.

Sure no problem. 😄

dunedune
Level 7
Mine reach 95C while playing or rendering videos ,so its normal

Thanks for that information dunedune!, it is always good to know other people's experience based on the same machine and a similar use!.