cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Q Code 41 - not in manual

Piers
Level 8
I've been overclocking my 6700K to 4.8GHz. All was fine until I set a few values in the BIOS (System Agent and VCCIO), I also changed a few other options. I then rebooted and saw code 41. The PC then went into a boot-loop of:

1) Turning on (nothing on the screen)
2) After a few seconds, code 41 was displayed on the motherboard screen
3) It would then reboot
4) It would then repeat steps 1-3

The hardware is only five days old. I cleared the CMOS and loaded defaults, I then set the following:

vcore adaptive: 1.380
multiplier: 48
XMP enabled
(plus disabling the boot logo and a few other non-OC settings)

I'm typing on the PC now, but should I be concerned about this? I've seen countless threads via a Google search for the Asus Z170 Deluxe - I'm a little worried now.

I hope someone can put my mind at ease, I don't want to RMA a new board...
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E (the worst motherboard I've owned in 25 years)
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm
32GB Corsair VENGEANGE LPX 3600MHz CL18
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Hybrid w/ 280mm radiator
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello Piers

Did you get an overclocking failed message when it finally booted?

If you're typing on your pc don't worry you should be fine, it could be due to an unstable overclock or unstable ram.

Reset to defaults and start over, you can do the ram first and run a test to make sure it's stable then move on to the cpu.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Piers

Did you get an overclocking failed message when it finally booted?

If you're typing on your pc don't worry you should be fine, it could be due to an unstable overclock or unstable ram.

Reset to defaults and start over, you can do the ram first and run a test to make sure it's stable then move on to the cpu.

It didn't display any message - there was no output from the display at all. Just an endless boot-loop. I did reset to defaults and then set a 47 overclock at ~1.4v - I've just played Fallout 4 for two hours to test its general stability, it didn't crash and I didn't notice any CPU-related lag or lock-ups.

ps: RAM at XMP
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Since you bumped up the voltage and lowered the multiplier and it's stable then likely your system just wasn't stable at the previous setting.

Should just run some stress test for stability because most games don't properly utilize the CPU fully.

InfernoStorm wrote:
Since you bumped up the voltage and lowered the multiplier and it's stable then likely your system just wasn't stable at the previous setting.

Should just run some stress test for stability because most games don't properly utilize the CPU fully.

This computer has completed four hours of Realbench stresstesting and passed. The maximums reached:

- temperature: 74 degrees
- watts: 112
- volts 1.405

Does that seem OK, or should more testing be done?
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro