cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, windows 10, yay or nay?

XOIIO
Level 7
Well, I've heard windows 10 can give an fps boost, and a few other alright things about it, fps boost being the main one, however these are chunky machines (g751j), so I'm wondering what results people here have had, is it worth the upgrade, or is it just a sidegrade?
6 REPLIES 6

NeroRaw
Level 7
Win 10 is the best of both worlds regarding Win 7 and Win 8. Personally, Win 8 is absolutely horrible. I would say do it.

Korth
Level 14
Win10 is still suffering from all manner of driver issues. GPU drivers, USB drivers, NVMe and PCI SSD drivers. Asus is notorious for providing timely driver/device support - especially for their ROG laptops - and their in-house apps (AI Suite, etc) have troublesome quirks in Win10. Even Microsoft's own C++ runtimes aren't yet fully version compatible with Win10, so a lot of component-based software (like Catalyst and GeForce) are equally broken until Win10 gets past all its teething pains.

So ... yay on Win10 ... half a year from now, once Microsoft and Asus and everybody else can work out issues and unify all their driver codebase dependencies. But nay on Win10 right now, it's bloaty and complex enough to take a while to move through this public "beta" phase - you may find it breaks more things than it fixes and that (due to Microsoft's Windows Product Key stuff) it's a one-way trip.

I would personally avoid Win10 until other people with the same motherboard/laptop/hardware start reporting that it all just works, automatically and seemlessly. But people right now are complaining too much about what the Win10 "upgrade" broke on their systems.

More fps? Not likely. Win10 runs more tasks and more services = more bloat = more demand on system resources. The only fps improvements in Win10 come from DX12 - or more correctly, they will come when the final implementation of DX12 is fully stable and fully compatible.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Julskey
Level 10
I have a g752VT with windows 10. I have no problems with it so far. I also upgraded windows 7 to 10 in my old G74SX laptop which according to Asus website is not supported for upgrade to Win10. Up to now, no crashes since upgrade which ran very smoothly and fast. Though I restored my G74SX to factory, out-of-the-box condition and removed bloatware before upgrading to Win10.

XOIIO
Level 7
Well, I suppose I should be able to roll back the windows version if I don't like the changes, I just hope that doesn't screw up my start menu and transparency mods if I do.

Korth
Level 14
If you install Win10 through the GWX invitation then you have 30 days to retrograde back to your original Win7/Win8 version before your Windows Product Key is permanently switched (in Microsoft's product database) into a Win10 Product Key. If you don't have a physical Win7/Win8 install disc then I would advise making a clone/image of your entire Win7/Win8 system before the upgrade, or at least downloading the Win7/Win8 install images and writing down your Win7/Win8 Product Key before the upgrade, lol.

Win10 is indeed better than Win7/Win8 in a lot of ways. The problem is that Win10 doesn't work correctly with all existing hardware/software yet.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

XOIIO
Level 7
Hmm, interesting, alright. I do have windows 7 disc images but not windows 8, I could clone the system too but that would take a long time lol, I guess I
ll download the windows 8 image then proceed.