cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BNIB Asus 290x Matrix and Asus Matrix Overclocking Tool

Blackjack
Level 7
Just secured a BNIB 290x Matrix and have had a BN Matrix OC tool for a few weeks. Now that I've finally secured a card with the capability of utilizing the tool, i thought I'd create a thread in preparation of awesome, if the card cooperates.
Most retail cards did not come with the connector for the OC tool, and unless I've lucked out in some way, will need to solder a 16 pin connector onto the card. Fortunately the Matrix OC Tool comes with two channels and two connectors. Worst case, I'll need to de-solder one of the connectors off of the OC tool and re-solder onto the card. Should be receiving the card within the next 5-7 days. If you find this of interest, stay tuned, more to come.
Did I mention I'll be overclocking the snot out of this? First, some air testing, followed by water/chilled water, and then on to the mad mother- LN2! Sit down , buckle up, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the ride.....

NOW with 980ti Matrix!
24 REPLIES 24

Bahz
Level 12
Wow, I'm really looking forward to your update and possibly some pictures? 🙂

Vlada011
Level 10
ASUS Should build and R9-390X 8GB Matrix.
I think AMD fans will like to see that model.
But Strix version is available at the moment.

Blackjack
Level 7

Have 10 of these coming. I'd like to mention that the following Matrix cards have the pin out to receive this connector and ability to utilize Matrix OC Tool - 780ti, 290x, 980, and 980ti.
I'm very interested to see if the tool unlocks any more funtionality in the card. The tool itself has several features, just upon visual inspection.

- 2 Ports for Overclocking 2 Cards
V
- Card Select Switch
-"OV Enable" Switch
V
On The left you have red "+" or "-" buttons for adjusting values of the "Voltage Select" Button to the right
The selections listed with corresponding LCD's -
*GPU/VDDC
*Mem/MVVD
*PLL/VDDCI
*3v3.Other
V
Below these we have a few LCDs for "Memory Heater Status"
To the right looks like some more solder points and am wondering if they are corresponding points on card for additional monitoring functionality.
V
A red "Save" Button and black "Reset" Button
V
Next 4 character LED's to read voltages
V
Last, at the bottom 10 solder/read points for each card.
*GPU
*MEM
*PLL
*Other
*GND

I should be obtaining a 980ti Matrix in the next few weeks and plan on testing it after the 290x.

Menthol
Level 14
Blackjack,
I have one piece of advice, be very careful with adding memory voltage, I killed one of my 290X Matrix with the OC tool, the voltage controller for memory is sensitive
I still have the tool and I believe I have 2 EK blocks if you need them for the 290X Matrix laying around, there yours if you want them
I was using a water chiller, never went on to LN2 myself
It is a great tool being able to adjust voltages on the fly during benchmarks

Blackjack
Level 7
Thanks for the advice and offer. I'll shoot you a pm.

FYI, for anyone wondering, I'm hotrod717 on hwbot and some other forums.

Vlada011
Level 10
Now when I look this parts for ASUS ROG Graphics ...
it's obvious that ASUS always could make best cards, same as Matrix Hawaii only if they want.
I hope they will keep with good work.
Maybe they should build and R9-390X 8GB Matrix to replace R9-290X.
With waterblock that's great card.

Blackjack
Level 7
Well, received the card today and while it does appear to have been fit up, a scratch on lower back plate, seems otherwise unmolested. No ROG Badge and sans GPU Tweak Cd. As close to bnib as could be expected at this point I suppose. And while expected, can't help wonder how the Elpida memory is going to hold up. If anyone has the proper GPU Tweak, I would like to use period correct version. Please send it my way.

GPUZ - First impressions from previous experience - 74-78% asic is what you want for air or watercooling with the 290x. A previous reference card did 1250 on water with a comparable asic % to 72.6. We'll find out how reliable that is. I haven't found that "great" card on LN2 with 290x cards, so I'll reserve any judgement.
Initially, I'll be testing on Catalyst 14.4.

Okay some GPU Tweak fundamentals that is probably old hack to most, but, you never know.
Built into GPU Tweak is an enhancement funtion that will raise clock max values. It does not raise voltage.

Blackjack
Level 7
Did a little air testing just to feel out the card. I am always careful on air as to not over stress the card. Ultimately more concerned about water and cold testing. On air I usually cut testing at about 70-75*, which in this case left me at 1140 core and 1.29v with 150%PT, testing with Firestrike. My basement gets fairly hot and did this at ambient. I'll throw some chilled air in and retest before making any comparisons.
After a few runs on chilled air (10,000 btu a/c ducted in front of case) I did manage to pull a little more out of this card, but not much. 1175 core @ 1.35v. Not very inspiring, but I did notice it was fine until it 60*. Hoping water really lets this shine a little better. We will take a look under the hood tomorrow. It may be that the cooler isn't seated properly. Noticing the scratch from the previous owners fit up, that could have broken the seal on the tim.

Menthol
Level 14
The only files I have left is 2 GPU tweak versions and a LN2 bios file from when I was benching my cards, after you get through with some benching I'll show you where I got with my cards on chilled water

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bf90rxsdsfv828n/AAAjdV3Uq5sxqY8SrI4uXfBNa?dl=0