cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the market for a new laptop, 980m 4gb version and 8gb version question

select20
Level 7
Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a new laptop. My last two gaming laptops have been Asus'. My first one had a 560m, and the one I"m using now is a 765m. I'm really wanting to push it though and go high to the 980m territory.

As I was shopping I came across the 980m but in a 4gb version and 8gb version. What is the major difference between these? Also, would any of you ever consider an Alienware over an Asus RoG? Just curious as they have a deal on their site for something a little better and a little cheaper.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
The only difference between the 8GB and 4GB is the size of the VRAM. everything else is identical. For the time being there really isnt anything that will tax 4GB to the limit let alone 8GB. There is a HUGE performance difference between a 765M and a 980M, not even worth a comparison when you figure the 980M pretty much doubles benchmark scores of the 965M.

As for Alienware, They have their own following I'm sure, I'm not one of them. Their biggest downfall is heat. Nothing like trying to type on a keyboard that will burn your fingers after 15 mins of game play. Well maybe not quite burn but 120F on the keyboard is pretty good and warm and will certainly make your fingers sweat and be uncomfortable. If I was going to choose any other model it would be a Clevo or MSI.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

navis995
Level 11
Even thought I own Asus I'd recommend trying MSI or Clevo. Since those brands specialize in making gaming laptops unlike Asus where they do everything from GPU's, to monitors, to routers. They're also full metalic so the build quality is higher. All in all take which ever laptop has the best specs and then just compare. The one with the lower price is your winner. All of these laptops have some great points and some negative, so in the end it's really the same.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

kingjezdi
Level 9
more VRAM better for high resolution and big Textures 😉

awesome thanks

Julskey
Level 10
If budget is not of concern, go for the highest specs. It may be expensive but will keep longer.

HoTo
Level 7
Wrong. 8GB doesn't necessarily mean your card will "keep longer". With 1080p, 4GB Vram is enough.

I just ordered a G751JY myself, really excited! I would advice to choose Asus over MSI in any situation. MSI's generally cost more for the same hardware, and Asus still wins when it comes to cooling.

JustinThyme
Level 13
One huge advantage the MSI has is you can upgrade the graphics. In some models the CPU is in an actual socket and can be changed too but has to stay in the same family or haswell or Skylake. With ASUS they are soldered into the motherboard so what you bought is what you got.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Julskey
Level 10
4gb vram maybe enough for now, but games and applications evolve. 1Gb vram was okay before but after a few months, you need 2GB for newer games. If price difference is not too big, better get the one with higher specs as it will take a little bit longer before you upgrade. IMHO.

HoTo
Level 7
8GB Vram is for 2160p resolution gaming, we are talking about 1080p gaming. I'm not saying I can predict the future, but wouldn't it be highly unlikely that upcoming games played in Full HD will be more resolution render heavy than current high end games played in 4k?