cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love my G752VL under Ubuntu Linux. Anybody running Linux? :)

jcer93705
Level 7
Hello guy's. So anybody running Linux. If so any addition thing you've done to get it to work? I'm running Ubuntu Mate. Works great.
Also Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu Unity. Very great. Very fast. Flawless except one thing. Track pad. It detect my palm while im typing even
few mm but it's ok. I just type higher. But now that I'm not using it as portable computer since it's a laptop. I'm usig like a desktop
using a mouse and in bios i disable trackpad through bios. Otherwise they have the additional drivers program so you can install
Nvidia proprietary driver. Here some pictures how my linux looked some are old pictures. So please show off you're G752 by telling
us what you've done to it to get it working with Linux and what driver you installed and show screen shot even videos. Ty
18 REPLIES 18

jcer93705
Level 7
I did replace the mechanical hard drive to a Pny Optima 480Gb. Boots up around 8 seconds or so. Soon will get two of the smaller
one to run on raid 0. LOL And leave the 480gb there for programs and have everything backed up to raid 5 nas server So seem
Linux run faster then Window 10. Also upgrade was I moved up from Window 10 home to Pro to have my computer encrypted
and to join domain Anyway's. Run great with many virtual machine running under linux. 🙂

pigulici
Level 8
My G752vy it is in dual boot win10+Linux Mageia 5, both on ssd, work great...

Hi do you have the trackpad problem some distro wont even detect the trackpad like fedora and linux mint. Linux mint. Well I would say both
would detect it with latest kernel but still it doesn't have the right driver it's using basic mouse pad driver which if you type most likely will
delete or high light or take the pointer somewhere else if it detect the palm while typing. I hate that. Let me know. And what is it based on?

warryabel
Level 7
linux work also great on usb3persistent livesystem

warryabel wrote:
linux work also great on usb3persistent livesystem

Wow why would you run a live linux distro? Works best installing on a partition especially if it's ssd. Gaming on it
is awesome. But you didn't also tell me what distro and if everything is working. But I can't do extreme games on
linux live nor i cant do vmware on linux live. Simply good just to test hardware to find out if it work ok then do full
installation and install driver that is needed.. Even then it's not enough to know how great is compatible by installing
additional drivers. That's all. Live is great too do do hacking.

warryabel
Level 7
i use zorin and remix os dualboot on stick no issues and nvidiadriver.

maf23
Level 7
Can't you disable Trackpad in Bios? Win 7 is also much faster than Win 10 (outside of gaming). Lots of bloatware running in background.

ludesign_bg
Level 7
I was running Linux mint on my G751JY machine and had a lot of issues, starting from headphones jack not working most of the time, backlit won't turn on after a sleep/hibernate. NVidia drivers causing problems with screen brightness (not able to control the brightness), slow boot, awful sound quality and had to disable the touchpad in the bios.

Now I did a fresh installation of Windows 10 with all the latest drivers and etc (mixed bit of g751 with g752 utilities and drivers) and my machine is better then ever, still I have to run Linux (developers life) but I do it via VMware.

Glad you have almost no issues, I would love to be running Linux (long time developer, used to work on all 3 major platforms: windows, mac os and Linux) but not falling for that again on my G751JY 🙂

ludesign.bg wrote:
I was running Linux mint on my G751JY machine and had a lot of issues, starting from headphones jack not working most of the time, backlit won't turn on after a sleep/hibernate. NVidia drivers causing problems with screen brightness (not able to control the brightness), slow boot, awful sound quality and had to disable the touchpad in the bios.

Now I did a fresh installation of Windows 10 with all the latest drivers and etc (mixed bit of g751 with g752 utilities and drivers) and my machine is better then ever, still I have to run Linux (developers life) but I do it via VMware.

Glad you have almost no issues, I would love to be running Linux (long time developer, used to work on all 3 major platforms: windows, mac os and Linux) but not falling for that again on my G751JY 🙂

Have you tried upgrading you're kernel? Stock kernel is below 4.0 and also how about Ubuntu 15.10. I have no issue what you
mention except the mouse pad detect my pam when i type if i have my palm very low on touch pad. Led on the keyboard is
working for me. Headphone you need to map it. Basically you're using the wrong kernel and setup. Not all developer are
perfect. Have to do research and even ask other experience people even some noob knows. I'm a IT I work for government
program. I have since the very early of 90's experience. I even have a computer business. But to be honest. I'm still learning.
We never stop learning. I love my laptop. Oh I test my brightness and it's working. The kernel I'm using is 4.2.0-30 I'm going
to compile a kernel of 4.4.4 anyway's brightness work, led key works everything works here. Linux Mint are way behind
on supporting newer hardware. That reason I love Ubuntu. Linux Mint sucks on this computer unless if I install Ubuntu then
install through terminal Linux Mint. 🙂