cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 Pro Gaming: 5.1 Surround Audio doesn't work properly

luttfy
Level 7
Hi guys, I just assembled a new desktop last month with a Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mother board. Everything seems cool except the 5.1 audio system. I'm using Logitech Z906 5.1 surround speakers connected to PC with normal 3-way (color) cable (black, orange and green). But in the playback setup, only 2 front speakers make sound. When playing some games or watching movies, part of the audio is missing, sometime human voice, sometime the background voice during animation.

I've updated the audio driver and chipset driver, not working. Now I'm going to buy a SPDIF cable to have a try. Is there anyone having the same problem?
5 REPLIES 5

brkkab123
Level 7
You need to configure them in Windows' Control Panel & the Realtek HD Audio first. Don't be surprised if you need to tell Windows that they're 7.1's instead of 5.1's. Realtek has apparently had issues with setting 5.1's as 5.1 speakers in Windows for almost 2 years now.
In Control Panel click on Hardware & Sound, then click on Sound, scroll down to speakers and configure them in Windows.
Then click on Realtek HD Audio Manager , configure them as 7.1, then click on Room Correction and set them to this top two speakers and front center speak 6 ft. & +0DB. middle two & bottom two speakers 3 ft & +7DB. Leave the subwoofer at +0DB. Then set Default Format to 24bits, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality).
You'll love how they sound with those settings.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to change the setup to 7.1 in both Windows control panel and HD Audio manager, but still not working properly. When I test the speakers in both the control panel and HD audio manager, still only 2 front speakers make sound. But when playing games or watching movie, the 5 speakers and sub-woofer do work most of the time, I can hear sound from each of them. But sometime some voices are missing. It's really weird.

Anyway, I'll try digital connection soon, see if the problem will be solved. Thank you mate.

I have the exact same set up and same problem.With 3.5 mm jack my z906 Rear left and Reat right not working.In Digital Optical setting 5.1 works good.But i want run 5.1 through 3.5 mm jack Pink,green,black cable.Because people says through these cable 5.1 experience is better than Optical Digital.

Why is not working.Who fault is this Mobo or Realtek Driver?

I got the solution my start working 5.1 thru 3.5 mm jack.message me if ur still not solve

sunnyp343 wrote:
I got the solution my start working 5.1 thru 3.5 mm jack.message me if ur still not solve

Can you please update the post, so others can see your solution?
I have an X299 Prime Deluxe, and am almost positive I need to connect things up "the same".

Thanks.