cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula hanging up

clvig
Level 7
hi to everyone, I first want to say thank you to all for your help in the past with all the info I have learned and helped me.
the problem I seem to have is there is time when I will boot up my computer and it will hang up at the rog post screen, I have waited up to 5 min, then I hit reset and it will load to windows, I have tired with and with out overclock from what I read people mostly are reporting long post times mine takes about 35 to 40 sec. I am fine with that , just the hanging up is my concern , I do have a Samsung sm951 m.2 , 6700k, 3000 corsair dominator mem 32 gigs , corsair 1500 psu ,windows 10 pro, any help will be great .
one other question would this problem cause any performance problems when I get into windows , just in case I have to live with it thank you all
29 REPLIES 29

Nate152
Hello clvig

There are a number of things that can cause hang ups or freezing and looking at the specs you posted let's take a look at your ram, have you tried it at default 2133MHz?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello clvig

There are a number of things that can cause hang ups or freezing and looking at the specs you posted let's take a look at your ram, have you tried it at default 2133MHz?

i will try that thanks , if that fixes it , is it ok to leave it at 3000 and just deal with it time to time or will it give me a problem in windows again sorry for all the questions

Nate152
Well you can try it for a while at 2133MHz to see if it still freezes or if you have it at 3000MHz take a look on the extreme tweaker tab at the vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage and add .02v to each. In DiGi+ set the Dram current capability to 130%.

You can also increase the Dram voltage up to 1.40v if this helps.

32GB of 3000MHz is likely not plug and play but should be doable with these few voltage adjustments and it seems like you're almost there.

After the freeze do you get an overclocking failed message the next time you boot?

Nate152 wrote:
Well you can try it for a while at 2133MHz to see if it still freezes or if you have it at 3000MHz take a look on the extreme tweaker tab at the vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage and add .02v to each. In DiGi+ set the Dram current capability to 130%.

You can also increase the Dram voltage up to 1.40v if this helps.

32GB of 3000MHz is likely not plug and play but should be doable with these few voltage adjustments and it seems like you're almost there.

After the freeze do you get an overclocking failed message the next time you boot?

it happens from a cold boot and it will hang at the first rog screen the cade on board says 02 (ap initialization before microcode loading) I have let it sit there for 10 mins one time , all I do is hit reset then its boots fine . I can live with it if you think it will not hurt system or performance . thank you again for any help

Nate152
Thank you

Code 02 isn't a very common code and I'm not sure what it's referring to but if it's booting fine after a reset it makes me still wonder if it's the ram.

After enabling XMP raise these voltages.

VCCIO voltage - 1.15v up to 1.25v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.15v up to 1.25v
Dram Voltage up to 1.40v

DiGi+
Dram current capability 130%

If it still doesn't want to go you can try setting it manually and just to confirm that's a single 32GB kit?

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

Code 02 isn't a very common code and I'm not sure what it's referring to but if it's booting fine after a reset it makes me still wonder if it's the ram.

After enabling XMP raise these voltages.

VCCIO voltage - 1.15v up to 1.25v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.15v up to 1.25v
Dram Voltage up to 1.40v

DiGi+
Dram current capability 130%

If it still doesn't want to go you can try setting it manually and just to confirm that's a single 32GB kit?

I tried the thease settings waited about an hour and same thing had to hit reset to get it to post from cold start up , thank you , do you think it s ok to live with

Nate152
Well no not exactly, if it's not booting from a cold boot the first time something's not right.

I think we can rule out the ram, I don't have an M.2 pcie ssd but I wonder if your sm951 could be related somehow since it's during the boot process.

Nate152 wrote:
Well no not exactly, if it's not booting from a cold boot the first time something's not right.

I think we can rule out the ram, I don't have an M.2 pcie ssd but I wonder if your sm951 could be related somehow since it's during the boot process.

It sometimes boot fine from cold boot and other times it hangs

Nate152
Sometimes works could point to instability, have you run a stress test to see your system is 100% stable?