cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe G751JY Temperature range ?

fidelity101
Level 7
I've been experimenting with overclocking on my Asus G751JY and the one thing I can't seem to find is max recommended "safe" temperature ranges. With a rather heavy CPU overclock, and moderate GPU overclock, I was pushing my CPU into the 87C range but the GPU stayed in the 77C range. After dropping the CPU to below stock specs, I was keeping the CPU below 80C. All of this was accomplished using GTA 5 to really push my system.

Question is: What's "normal" and whats "pushing it". I think 87C is HOT personally, but the fans aren't even running full blast at that level. Can I crawl into the 90C range without causing damage? When does the fan kick in gear? The back of my laptop is only about 8-10" away from a window so I can quickly cool the whole system down if I open up said window and allow the 40F outside air temperatures to cool my overall system, but I'm trying to configure "optimal" settings for year round use. I'm also trying to talk myself out of buying/building a brand new desktop system for VR gaming so hopefully I can make this laptop work for another year or at least six months. 🙂
14 REPLIES 14

fidelity101
Level 7
I found this from 2013. I wonder if it still applies.

I'd like to add a few other comments to the post above. You can check your CPU temperature accurately with a program called Coretemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/). You can also download a gadget for the desktop that works with coretemp to display CPU temps on your desktop at all times as well as CPU load (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/addons.html).

A general guide for intel mobile CPUs in regards to temperatures:

100C is usually the absolute maximum operating temperature and the CPU will generally shutdown if it hits this temperature
90-95C is usually throttling range, the CPU speed or voltage will be reduced automatically to try to avoid hitting 100C
80-90C is pretty typical temperatures for non-gaming laptops under load
70-80C is pretty typical temperatures for gaming laptops under full load
35-50C are pretty typical idle temperatures when the laptop is not loaded (idle). Often you may see temps or 60 or 70C just sitting at the desktop though if your antivirus or other background services are running clearly.

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
Ive also been wondering what the "safe zone" is for my g751JY temps. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks 85°-90° CPU is scary... I am also using GTA V to see what my g751jy can handle. I was seeing 88°-92° CPU untill I used MSI afterburner and the statistic server it comes with to limit FPS to 60. Now I get a steady 77-83 CPU. Ocassionaly I will see 86°-87° during a very intense driving mission or cop chase/fight. GPU has always stayed arround 73° 90-99% usage. My CPU never really goes over 65% usage while playing GTA V. Is this OK?

fidelity101
Level 7
In XTU, click the little wrench on the bottom right and make sure all fields are displayed. I'm curious if you're hitting any limits be it Current Temperature voltage or other. That's really the only way I know of to tell if you're running into any throttling issues. But other than that, if your games are playing fine and you're not crashing then I think you're good. 🙂

I started playing around with OC more after having my laptop crash while playing World of Warcraft. After the latest update, something must have changed as it was using a LOT of resources and my temps were going up. I set Vsync to ON and the refresh rate to 120, and the problem went away.

Also, your temperatures are higher than I'm seeing while doing some heavy overclocking. How old is your laptop and when is the last time you used an air compressor or can of compressed air to blow out the fans? I found that makes a HUGE difference and some nasty crap in the fans was driving my temperatures up a good 10C. Now I'd be hard pressed to push into the 90C range without heavy overclocking on both the CPU and GPU but before I could have easily hit that mark without overclocking.

Less than a year old. Wouldn't blowing with compressed air just push dust further into the case? This JY design is terrible for internal cleaning...

Weirdoutworld wrote:
Less than a year old. Wouldn't blowing with compressed air just push dust further into the case? This JY design is terrible for internal cleaning...

That's exactly what I thought as well. BUT, the fans are designed to grab air from above and blow air out the back, so I used 30-40PSI to blow the dust out and get the fans spinning. I also used the air on both sides and through the keyboard keys. I repeated this several times until the dust clouds settled. Once that was done, I removed the bottom plate and lightly cleaned the extra memory chip and the hard drives. I have 3 hard drives in my rig thanks to the 3D printed bracket that lets me use the M.2 drive AND the SATA connector on the left bay.

I pushed a LOT of dust out and that's just sitting on my desk in an air conditioned room. I can't imagine what my computers in the basement look like.

fidelity101 wrote:
I have 3 hard drives in my rig thanks to the 3D printed bracket that lets me use the M.2 drive AND the SATA connector on the left bay.

That is awesome! Can I see a picture of the bracket that lets you do this so I can find one?

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
I'm very interested in undervolting to get my temps down while gaming. I've never dealt with OCing and it's a little intimidating. What should I try first to get better temps? Nootbook fan control or xtu undervolt?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Personally speaking of course Ive never bothered with overclocking laptops with the exception of a mild OC on the GPU. The CPU just inst worth it. Minimal gain for maximum risk in cooking it. Now if you had a GX700 that might be another story but still not anything stellar. Ive built desktop rigs over the years with some insane clocks with anything from LN2 pots, pelts and chillers on a liquid cooling loop. Its a bit easier when you can run the Vcore up and not worry about overheating.

To clean out a G751 its not too hard to crack it open and use compressed air. Heres a vid showing how to get it open. Once you do it a few times its very easy. Takes me less than 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Also, thanks for the youtube link. I have no desire to disassemble the laptop that far so the cleaning process I did seems to have helped and my temperatures are decent.

As for overclocking, I agree that CPU overclocking provides minimal gains, but it seems to be happy with 36,35,34,34 while the voltage is dropped to -80mV. That provides a slight performance gain while temperatures are lower than stock settings. As for the GPU, you really have to overclock it in order to pass the VR test for Oculus, but it remains to be seen just how the system performs with VR games. With a moderate overclocking of the GPU core and memory, I am able to get 4-5 frames more per second on a few games and the temperatures are below 80C so I'm happy.