cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to PROPERLY update bios on our laptops?

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi guys,

obvious question: how to properly update BIOS on our G-series notebooks? I searched first 15pages of our wonderful forum but could not find this "simple" thing.
Search function of the forum keeps popping database errors. I was maybe one click away from bricking my laptop.
I downloaded BIOS 213 for my G752VY NB, downloaded winflash and when I was on last window of WinFlash I decided not to do it before reading some more information on this procedure.
Seems I was right, improper BIOS flashing will brick our laptops. SO I am KINDLY asking someone to write a tutorial and post it to STICKY.
My understanding:
1. Use USB flash drive which is formatted with FAT32.
2. Place G752VYAS.213 file in root folder of stick.
3. Flash from Windows WinFlash utility or inside BIOS EZ Flash?

Anything else?

Much appreciated, your friendly neighborhood KidFisto
7 REPLIES 7

kidfromhell
Level 9
There are the two ways which, you already know. One using the utility inside windows and one from the BIOS. The tutorial for BIOS is EXACTLY same as you listed above.

The WinFlash utility, however doesn't flash directly from Windows. You just run it, select the BIOS file and it always restarts to BIOS and pretty much EZ Flash takes care of it from there.

So the Windows utility just triggers the process, never does it. The EZ does it all.

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi Kidfromhell :),

so how do then people brick their laptops? what do they do wrong?

Thanks,

Kidfisto wrote:
Hi Kidfromhell :),

so how do then people brick their laptops? what do they do wrong?

Thanks,

BIOS updating tools have become more streamlined nowadays that checks for compatibility, network, plugged-in etc. So certainly there's less chance nowadays that the tools flash something wrong, even if the user feeds it a wrong one.

Having said that, sudden power disruptions like crashing could corrupt the BIOS. I'd say that luck also plays a role here. Even now, I hold my breath for a minute when I start flashing the BIOS.

I always unzip to the USB. Never take a chance on moving or copying to the USB your just taking more risk. I also always update from within the BIOS using the Ezflash. Again removing the step from window to the Ezflash where something could possible go wrong. There is always some risk of something going wrong. However I have never bricked a motherboard or notebook.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I always unzip to the USB. Never take a chance on moving or copying to the USB your just taking more risk. I also always update from within the BIOS using the Ezflash. Again removing the step from window to the Ezflash where something could possible go wrong. There is always some risk of something going wrong. However I have never bricked a motherboard or notebook.

I do like that too...

Kidfisto
Level 7
All clear guys. Thanks for input. I will try to update from 206 to 212 or 213, haven't decided yet.

Cheers

JustinThyme
Level 13
I just use winflash which verifies the bios files and upon reboot launches the flash utility that resides in the BIOS itself.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein