cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading existing 4710 CPU to newer one

TurkROG
Level 7
Helloo ....

Is there any way or any solution to upgrade CPU 4710 to newer one 6000 series ?
14 REPLIES 14

TurkROG
Level 7
for G751JY

nemerdekel
Level 7
The CPU is soldered to the motherboard, so probably no.
Laptop: G751JL
Processor: i7-4750HQ
Graphics Card: GTX 965M
Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)

fidelity101
Level 7
Asus has been upgrading the CPU when doing their "Gsync" upgrade...so it's possible.

I'd really like an ASUS solution that provides an "upgrade" to my G751JY laptop to include a new CPU and a new GPU when they become available...much cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Also, I've read a lot of forums/threads in which people talk about selling their laptops and buying a new system as a better option. Are there any actual forums where people sell their used computer gear for reasonable prices? I've seen a lot of talk on sites like pcpartspicker and others...but nothing with actual numbers and actual items for sale.

fidelity101 wrote:
Asus has been upgrading the CPU when doing their "Gsync" upgrade...so it's possible.

I'm not sure they upgraded them to 6000 series, as far as I know they even downgraded some from the 4720hq to 4750hq, which is a lower clock version

toronto699
Level 13
Asus replaced the motherborads for the G-Sync upgrade , except in one country where they added a G-Sync Module to the original board and the reason for a processor downgrade there are no motherboards available with the origanl clock version processor therefore the down grade, now asus will give u the original clock version or a higher clock version if u r willing to wait months for the G-Sync upgrade. They did not replace the processor on the original board.

toronto699 wrote:
Asus replaced the motherborads for the G-Sync upgrade , except in one country where they added a G-Sync Module to the original board and the reason for a processor downgrade there are no motherboards available with the origanl clock version processor therefore the down grade, now asus will give u the original clock version or a higher clock version if u r willing to wait months for the G-Sync upgrade. They did not replace the processor on the original board.

Yes, but they won't upgrade it to 6000 series.

fidelity101
Level 7
Thanks for the information...good to know. If they're replacing motherboards and processors for that Gsync upgrade, why on earth would they not offer an upgrade program in general? Upgrade the system with a new CPU and GPU for $1000....seems like a win win for everyone???

fidelity101 wrote:
Thanks for the information...good to know. If they're replacing motherboards and processors for that Gsync upgrade, why on earth would they not offer an upgrade program in general? Upgrade the system with a new CPU and GPU for $1000....seems like a win win for everyone???

If they're willing to do that upgrade, they have to make sure that the temps are under control with the new chips inside them. They have to do stress testing to make sure that the current heatsinks and fans can handle the excess heat that'll be produced by the new chips. If it doesn't they have to change them or re-design them completely. Sometimes re-design may not be entirely possible due to the space limitations.

Which, can end up in the customer paying more for the upgrade. In the end, you can pay a little bit extra to get yourself a new system. If people started upgrading, they won't have to release new models every year. They'll get hurt pretty bad.

fidelity101 wrote:

They do, its called buy a new laptop.

The Gsysnc upgrade was the first offering of its kind from any manufacturer and with the way it went over from the cry babies to parts shortages and third party repair shops botching things my bet is it will be the last time too. If I worked for ASUS running that project it would have been yanked faster than it was conceived just from all the whining going on. First crying about how they didn't have it, then it was announced that it was coming and the crying went to its not coming fast enough, then crying about they contacted their local center and was told its not going to happen when all the while they were told it had not been communicated down the pipeline yet. Go read the petition thread and the announcement thread for yourself. Enough tears to fill the amazon river.

Regardless the CPUs are soldered in. They are not upgrading the CPUs for the Gsync, just replacing the mother board with a turn around board. Some that are later in the process are most likely getting a board from one of the early participants that has been reworked.
Even if they did have it socketed you cant upgrade from Haswell to Skylake. This has been true for every single CPU ever produced. You can stay within the same generation but thats as far as it goes. The chipset and entire architecture changes.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein