cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random shutting down?

Retired
Not applicable
Hello, I have an ASUS GH1JX-A1 laptop and though it has been doing great since I bought it a little less than a year ago, it has been experiencing some problems recently. :confused:

My laptop will randomly shut down. EDIT: My laptop now, without fail, will shut down whenever I try to play a game- I will boot up Fallout: New Vegas and not long after the intro (1-2 minutes playing tops) it will shut down for no reason. This is not caused by heat because I downloaded a Core Heat detecting program and my computer tops will get to 70-71 degrees.

I know it is also not my battery either, because it plays if it is running solely on battery or solely on the charger without battery even in the computer.

Does it make a difference I installed the game on the 😧 drive and not the main drive? Is there a reason why large memory-taking actions like playing a game such as Fallout New Vegas make my laptop shut down?
10 REPLIES 10

Retired
Not applicable
I have a g51 and it does get very hot while playing games, although it has never shut down on me. I got a tarus chill pad thing that sits under my laptop and blows cool air up into my computer while im playing games. Maybe this will help if overheating is your problem? It shouldn't overheat just running firefox though.

Retired
Not applicable
drz400dude wrote:
I have a g51 and it does get very hot while playing games, although it has never shut down on me. I got a tarus chill pad thing that sits under my laptop and blows cool air up into my computer while im playing games. Maybe this will help if overheating is your problem? It shouldn't overheat just running firefox though.

I think it only shutdowns when I use firefox/etc because sometimes I will close the lid of my laptop and let it hibernate, and when it comes out of that sleep mode the fans don't seem to work as well as they do before sleep mode. Do you know which Tarus chill pad you use?

xeromist
The problem with temperature sensors is that there are many of them inside of modern computers so if any single thing is overheating you can still have a problem even though all the other readings look perfect. Until you get the cooler pad try putting it on a hard surface and putting a book or something underneath the back to raise it slightly and allow air to circulate. If it lasts longer then you know for sure it is a heat problem that a cooler could fix.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
yea i ran into a few that have this same problem with the same game, they drilled some holes in the fan intake and temps dropped and game works fine. but they were seeing the temps get quite hotter than yours. you can always try to use a good cooler like coolermaster SF19

V2-V3
Level 8
Tessa,

Download and run GPUZ
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/
Click the sensors tab and check the boc for Continue refreashing screen when GPU-Z is in background

see attached icture

Play fallout New Vegas and chech the GPU temperatues, it should not read above 90c

let us know what it reads. I had a similar issue when settings were on maximum the GPU was overheating.

also try cleaning out your cooling assembly with some canned air.

Retired
Not applicable
Hi.
I have been using g73jh for 5 months and I am experiencing this problem also. Whenever I play a game which uses lots of GPU it shuts down itself and when I try to boot it immediately the power button blinks and does not boot for 1 min. If I make settings lower like low shadows etc. then I can play the game fine.

Retired
Not applicable
ayucebilgin wrote:
Hi.
I have been using g73jh for 5 months and I am experiencing this problem also. Whenever I play a game which uses lots of GPU it shuts down itself and when I try to boot it immediately the power button blinks and does not boot for 1 min. If I make settings lower like low shadows etc. then I can play the game fine.

post in the G73 section, you probably have the GSOD issue which needs a vbios update.

Retired
Not applicable
Been having the same random shut down problem which I narrowed down to an overheated GPU. The problem I have is that the computer will run fine by itself, but when using the HDMI output onto a larger (asus)monitor it will eventually shut down.

I have measured the temperature using GPU-Z and determined that the average temperature in that set-up is about 90C after gaming for a couple minutes. It will hover around 88 and peak at 91. Understandably this is pushing the card. But does this mean the G51J simply lacks the ability to cool itself properly?

BTW, I have it bombarded with external fans, it is always cool to the touch.

Retired
Not applicable
AlexBW72 wrote:
Been having the same random shut down problem which I narrowed down to an overheated GPU. The problem I have is that the computer will run fine by itself, but when using the HDMI output onto a larger (asus)monitor it will eventually shut down.

I have measured the temperature using GPU-Z and determined that the average temperature in that set-up is about 90C after gaming for a couple minutes. It will hover around 88 and peak at 91. Understandably this is pushing the card. But does this mean the G51J simply lacks the ability to cool itself properly?

BTW, I have it bombarded with external fans, it is always cool to the touch.

Alright, so the answer and the solution to my problem...

No, the G51 was not designed to effectively dissipate heat when the card is running hard. Understandable I suppose, just not to happy about it. My solution was to remove the bottom panels and adjust my notebook coolers fans directly over the GPU. It's a good thing I don't travel with it very often.

I'm really hoping the new design of the G53 will solve this problem. I would like to stick with ASUS...