cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Decision

yklim_ml
Level 7
Dear Guys,

Please assist to advise as i had hard time choosing the Asus ROG Laptops as listed below -

1. Asus G53SX-XA1( i7-2630)8G/ 2GB GTX 560M

2. Asus G74SX-3DE ( i7-2630) 12G| 1,5T| 3D Glasses

3. Asus G74SX-BBK7 (Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, VGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M, 17.3 inch, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit)

Actually i'm looking for a system which can play todays games, watching movies and with 3D function. Most importnatly must be Full HD screen, with HDMI outlet and can last for a year or two for gaming as nowadays gaming requires much demanding of the system.

So guys out there please lend a helping hand to advise me which is the most suitabe system for me on the above mentioned models.

Your true advise on the system itself is much appreciated.

Regards
Markus
7 REPLIES 7

X-ROG
Level 15
It depends on the spec of where you are buying from as the G53SX does have a naked eye 3D option, but not every retailer stocks this version. Your best bet is to go for the 3DE with Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D, and check it has the FullHD display.

For example this one does:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-3DE-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00542SWQ8

yklim_ml
Level 7
Thanks for the fast reply.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Whether you want 3D capability on the built-in display is an important criterion that separates the models you mentioned. If you only plan to use 3D on the HDMI out to a 3D-capable TV, there's no point in paying more for it in the laptop itself.

Sorry, I didn;t respond to the poll because there's no "best" answer given the limited criteria you offered.

Well if you're looking for "Full HD" then the Bestbuy version(BBK7, actually it's now BBK8) doesn't meet your criteria. It's 1600x900 which is HD but not full 1080p.

I have the BBK8 and was worried that not having the the 1900x1080 but to tell you the truth, it hasn't bothered me. 1600x900 is not bad on a 17", just the viewing angles are a little.

but your choices range in price from $1200-1800.. I guess it all depends on what you want to spend.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Whether you want 3D capability on the built-in display is an important criterion that separates the models you mentioned. If you only plan to use 3D on the HDMI out to a 3D-capable TV, there's no point in paying more for it in the laptop itself.

Sorry, I didn;t respond to the poll because there's no "best" answer given the limited criteria you offered.

That's a good point! Did not think of the HDMI port. *brain stops at notebook* Depends if he wants a separate monitor and what the price difference is, but certainly dropping the 3D requirement leaves him a bit more choice 🙂

PILGRIM
Level 11
I've chosen the G74SX-3DE. But this time, I would choose the slightly CPU-upgraded G74SX-DH73-3D (not on your list).

My reason is simple. I like its 3D-ready and matte-screen. I can bring the laptop anywhere
and have the option of 3D/2D screen usage.

Other than that, the G53, G73, or G74 are all basically the same- gaming laptops.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Tickwomp
Level 7
Instead of Best Buy's dumbed down G74SX, go to Frys Electronics. The G74SX-XR1 is superior in every way, from the 3GB 560M to the 12G of RAM included. Even the resolution is better. Mine was 1399.99, and they didn't trick me into a year of Best Buy's "Black Tie Insurance", which is redundant with Asus' "anything goes" warranty.