cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Formula- Wont post! :( Help please~

ColtonAX07
Level 7
Hello All,

Well you guys are my last hope. I just bought the VIII Formula from Newegg, did the install and I ALWAYS get the freaking error code 53 and board wont post. :mad:

But get this, its even better, this is my SECOND board after I RMA'd the first one for the SAME problem!! A $370 dollar board and I am have these issues...sorry but wth lol. Some context, I called tech support and they just walk me through the same things that I have already tried multiple times. I went through the whole troubleshooting process with the first board, they said PCI slots must be dead so RMA. Did that, waited 2 weeks to get the new board, and now.....its throwing the same code. Did all of the trouble shooting steps again, list below;

1. Tried one stick of ram (each port), no ram, ram in other slots besides A2-B2. (Ram was confirmed compatible by reps)
2. Reset CMOS
3. Updated bios to newest first
4. Tried MEMOK button
5. Completely shut down system
6. Re-seated CPU
7. Took out GPU to run of board graphics as stand alone
8. Re-seated all wires

At this point, I am thinking I must have had crap luck. My first MB was VI Hero and no problems, but this is making me rethink ASUS as I have read now a immense amount of reviews that this board was a bad buy. At +300 and to 2 boards with the same problem, I am thinking so.

Well anyways, if anyone has any suggestions or how to fix this, you would be my savior. I was highly anticipating this board. 😛

PC Specs:
i7 6700K
GTX 770
Corsair W750
Ripjaws 3200 8x16
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi ColtonAX07

Let's talk a little bit about you ram.

The maximus viii formula supports up to 64 GB and you have 8 x 16 listed which is 128 GB.

Would you by chance have any 8GB sticks to try?

Which Ripjaws ram are you using ?

I'm using the maximus viii formula and is working great for me.

Thank you both for your replies! 😄

Nate152, sorry, it was 4 AM so I must have been crazy and definitely got the math wrong. I'm actually using 2x8, so a total of 16 GB. Details to my ram below;

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170

Chino, do you believe that the case should be shorting the board? I'll be home soon to rest out your theory. Both times I've trouble shot the board was installed in case. Just for my knowledge, what's the advantage of doing a test outside the case?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ColtonAX07

The maximus viii formula supports up to 64 GB and you have 8 x 16 listed which is 128 GB.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ColtonAX07

Does ram version matter? Trying new ram and the model is compatible but the version is 4.24 instead of 4.23.

Chino
Level 15
Remove your motherboard from your case and put it on top of the cardboard box that it came in. Proceed to install your CPU, heatsink and 1 stick of RAM. Connect your power cables and turn on your system. Report back your results.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Testing it outside the case would help pinpoint if it's a short or not.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Testing it outside the case would help pinpoint if it's a short or not.

NemesisChild, ok so I tried the test with board out of case, having the same issues, error code 53. No changes 😕

NemesisChild
Level 12
What CPU cooler are you using?
Pull the cooler and CPU, examine the socket closely for bent or broken pins.
Try posting with nothing attached...cpu, one stick memory, and onboard GPU only.

Have you cleared the CMOS?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
What CPU cooler are you using?
Pull the cooler and CPU, examine the socket closely for bent or broken pins.
Try posting with nothing attached...cpu, one stick memory, and onboard GPU only.

Have you cleared the CMOS?

I'm using the hyper 212 evo. Pulled everything out and checked again, no bent pins. Same error code again when running as you said. Man this is insane.

Oh and yes, I cleared CMOS. Being as the armor is in the way, I didn't take the whole battery out, but I popped it's out with the button as far as possible.

Nate152
Yeah Ripjaws V is compatible and should work.

If it doesn't, do you have anything connected to the motherboard besides fans? Try disconnecting everything from the motherboard including the cpu fan and remove all usb devices, does this helps any?