cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Problems - Suggestions?

Shammer
Level 7
Hi, Folks -

I've been using this rig for about 2 months, and I'm starting to get memory-related BSOD's. I'm currently running BIOS 3202, and I'm not an overclocker. I'm looking for a good place to start.

I had the XMP enabled, so I deleted that and went back to Auto settings in the BIOS, but I'm looking for a baseline to start troubleshooting.

What's the preferred memory testing with you folks? I got the AIDA64 Extreme package - is that what you use, or is Memtest86 a better option?

Should I stay at BIOS 3202 or go to the latest release?

Go back to the BIOS XMP settings or stay on Manual?

My objective is to just get a stable memory configuration, although I may learn more about overclocking both CPU and memory once I get things settled down.

Although I'm not an overclocker, I'm experienced with PCs and I've been a PC systems admin for over 20 years at work.

If you need more info than what's in my Forum profile, please ask and I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Tim
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well your DIMMs are listed and tested according to the QVL for your MB. so they conform.
MemTest86+ is the best test run from USB. Both AIDA64 and MemTest86+ are good compared to windows.
Bios 3301 is latest Bios for better stability.
Use your XMP profile and manually key in Primary timings and voltage.

You can't OC a none "K" version Intel CPU.

Put HWMonitor and AIDA64 side by side on you desktop.
run the CPU and FPU test first for 10mins then take a screen shot and post the result.
Lets see if any changes in Bios will help.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
HCI memtest or the Google Stressapp test are supposed to be good for this platform.

BIOS wise....did you have the same problems on previous BIOS..like 2101 or earlier? Latest is not alwaya greatest...but if you have problems then by all means flash latest BIOS flashback method....you can always roll back..

When you set xmp....does that set 125 strap?...if so maybe try setting up manually on 100 bclk

By the way I am assuming you have a single quad kit right?

Test individual sticks to see if they are all working ok.

Thanks for your suggestions, Mean & Arne.

I've loaded 3301 and taken all the defaults except these:

PCIE8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2 (since I have the M.2 slot as my primary OS/boot drive)
Post Delay from 3 seconds to 0

Arne, I looked at the XMP settings while I was in there and verified that there is only one XMP profile:

XMP DDR4-2667 15-15-15-35 1.2V

The strap default is 100, with the following available: 125-167-250

After saving and booting to Windows, I ran a quick AIDA64 stress test on just the memory and got the BSOD within 2 - 3 minutes.

So, next I'm going to do the tedious job of testing my RAM modules one by one. I'll check in when I finish.

One question: how do you folks make screenshots of the BIOS? I've been using Snagit for years, but that only works in Windows.

Thanks again, back soon...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

With 32GB of memory GSAT is a better option than HCI for memory only testing. It is much faster.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you are having no joy setting XMP maybe try bumping dram voltage a touch...like 1.25 or 1.3v

Legolas
Level 9
What is your timing? It should be set to 15-15-15-35-2N? If you OC, you have to slow the timing and increase frequencyy like 16-16-16-36-2N with 2700(for example)
Sincerely,
Legolas