cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G551JW Fast Startup/wake up issue

lorddimic
Level 7
Hello guys. This problem drives me nuts for about few months, I tried EVERYTHING as I could possibly think of, contacted Asus online support, reflashing new BIOS and so on...
Nothing works. When Fast Startup option is ON the notebook is stuck on black screen right after Asus logo when turned on. Sometimes it even get through to the Windows and that makes this issue even weirdest. Also, sometimes it is stuck on the same black screen when returning from sleep.
Any suggestions, maybe from someone who owns same model as I? I have Windows 10 x64 on it, latest updates, latest drivers, latest BIOS. I am desperate and it is so frustrating to have to hold the power button for 10 sec every time when its stuck on boot, feels like choking my ROG...
Just to mention, when this option is OFF or when I restart system it boots but very slow.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

lorddimic
Level 7
Thank you very much for your replies, you've been very helpful.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Turn it off and disable it in Windows as well, problem solved. Ive done this from day one as this is nothing more than a hybrid hibernate. It dumps whats in memory to a file called hiberfil.sys, all running programs, drivers, etc. If you are running an SSD this equates to a full memory dump like a BSOD every time you shut down. 32GB ram? Thats 32GB of unnecessary write to your SSD.
Problem? Well when you get a problem youget exactly what you are describing. One driver not playing nice just gets reloaded over and over and over and over and over x 100 billion times. Need to reboot to reset after software install, nope thats not going to go right either as you will only boot right back to where you were. Hung up? Yep you guessed it, you come right back to where you left off, hung up.
Dont know what you call slow but I have this off on all my machines both by the bios and in windows under power options and my least fast boot time is 8 seconds.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein