cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get something off my chest regarding G74sx touchpad

refrax
Level 7
FIrst of all, I have seen all the threads with various fixes and hacks to try to get the touchpad working properly on this laptop. I have tried many, different versions of the Sintelic driver, cleaning the surface, disabling in BIOS etc. My question to those who support/manufacture this laptop; how is it possible that this is not corrected already?

When I first booted this laptop up, out of the box, I had to go find a USB mouse so I could complete my initial windows setup. The damn touchpad wouldn't move at all. It stayed in the top left corner of the screen. Now, its main function seems to be to keep my PC screen from going to sleep. If I disable it in BIOS, it takes the keyboard with it, but my screen will sleep after some inactivity finally. SoO basically this touchpad is making my new laptop very unusable in my opinion.

I've seen threads about the touchpads on a slew of different models for these laptops. Where is the fix? Where is Asus coming out of the woodwork saying "We're getting in front of this one guys". I hesitate to RMA this thing to fix this because of the stories I read on here about people getting their laptops back because "no issue was found" and they are still having problems. I also do not want to crack open the case because I don't want to void my warranty, or I might just go int here and unplug it.

Now I know that laptops are hugely complex devices, I can't imagine it's easy getting all this working together as one. And truthfully this touchpad is my only problem with it. I've tried system restore to out of box condition, no change. Tried clean windows install, and new driver, no other crap, no change. This thing seems to be a hardware problem and I cannot believe that it basically deserves its own forum here because it seems to be so common. Makes me wish I had gotten a different laptop, I've never had trouble from Asus products before, but this disheartens me.

TL;DR, Very disappointed G74SX-AH71 owner
11 REPLIES 11

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
wow! if you've done a clean install and still have this problem, i would say to rma it immediately. where did you buy it, and how long ago? most of the people on here were able to overcome first problems after uninstalling the old drivers, and loading the newest drivers, NOT FROM ASUS'S SITE OR APPLICATION DISK, but from the manufacturers site, or from jr's list of drivers on this forum.

so if you've tried all of these things, and still have problems, you probably should just bite the bullet and rma it. better to go through all of that, than to be stuck with a defective computer. and if it is hardware, an updated driver isn't going to fix it. good luck!
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

BrodyBoy
Level 10
refrax wrote:
This thing seems to be a hardware problem

I believe you're correct, and if you have the option, return the laptop ASAP. (Hopefully, you bought it from a retailer like Amazon with something like a 30-day return policy and you're still within that Window.)

If return/exchange is absolutely not an option, and you are not comfortable opening it yourself, you will need to RMA it to ASUS. No driver, BIOS, or other software can fix these defective touchpads.

I did buy it from Amazon, and I'm within my 30 day window. The downside of an RMA is that there's no guarantee that a replacement unit will function any better, but it's better than nothing I guess. Not looking forward to having to do without my computer for a couple weeks while they try to fix a problem they have to already be very very aware of.

Thanks guys, I'll start looking into the RMA procedures

refrax wrote:
I did buy it from Amazon, and I'm within my 30 day window. The downside of an RMA is that there's no guarantee that a replacement unit will function any better, but it's better than nothing I guess. Not looking forward to having to do without my computer for a couple weeks while they try to fix a problem they have to already be very very aware of.

Thanks guys, I'll start looking into the RMA procedures

Why wouldn't you just return it instead, since you have the option? You can literally order a new one, set up the return, and have no down time at all. (Believe me, I know....I've done it.) Take advantage of Amazon's great service, and make Asus deal with your defective product. It shouldn't be your headache.

There's no guarantee that Asus will even fix it, and you'd be without your computer for who-knows-how-long. Start with one that's fully functional.....don't start an RMA and take permanent ownership of a product that was defective out of the box.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Why wouldn't you just return it instead, since you have the option? You can literally order a new one, set up the return, and have no down time at all. (Believe me, I know....I've done it.) Take advantage of Amazon's great service, and make Asus deal with your defective product. It shouldn't be your headache.

There's no guarantee that Asus will even fix it, and you'd be without your computer for who-knows-how-long. Start with one that's fully functional.....don't start an RMA and take permanent ownership of a product that was defective out of the box.

This is excellent advice and I have taken it. I set up the return with Amazon online this morning, I had no idea they would ship a new unit to me without getting the original back first, that is excellent customer service. Hopefully the new one is in better working order than my current unit. Thanks to all who listened to me gripe and happy new year!

@refrax: Good plan! I had to do this twice with my G74, and Amazon makes it so painless and easy that, the second time, I literally timed it so that the UPS guy picked up the return and brought the new one on the same day! 🙂

Odds are, the second one will be perfect, but if you get snakebit twice (with a FUBAR touchpad or any other hardware defect), don't hesitate to send it back.

Gotta love Amazon! (And they credit you for the first one really fast!)

Just wanted to update all commentors, after returning/exchanging with Amazon, I now have what seems to be a perfectly working Asus g74sx! Thanks to all who listened to me vent, and for the good advice! I almost made a huge mistake doing the RMA there, Amazon customer for life!

The exchange also took care of another irritation on my laptop, the CD drive would vibrate very loudly when burning or reading CDs, but this new one, quiet as a mouse. Love it!

reddragun3
Level 7
this ended very well. Next time I might think about getting it from Amazon instead of Asus themselves. I didn't know you can setup a return and order a new one at the same time for virtually no downtime. Great advice Brody. I shall remember this!!!! 🙂

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Gotta love Amazon!

(Another factor worth considering, next time you're shopping for an Asus, is that you don't get Asus' extra warranty features when you buy from certain retailers. I think they're called Asus 360 and the Accidental Protection Program...or something like that....and you don't get those with units purchased at Best Buy, Staples, Costco, and some other places. Amazon purchases do include that coverage.)

@refrax: Congrats! I'm really glad it all worked out for you, and you now have a G74 that works the way it's supposed to. See? It IS possible!! 🙂