cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS OC not seeing NVMe Toshiba RD400 SSD

cthulhiac
Level 7
Greetings,

I bought a Toshiba RD400 NVMe SSD to add to the existing Toshiba THNSN5512GPU7 that comes with the G752VS. The objective is to setup a RAID-0 with these
two drives.

During boot up, if I set the SATA function to RAID, only the THNSN5512GPU7 is recognized. The RD400 is not so I can't create the RAID. When I set it to AHCI
both drives are recognized. I am currently running the laptop in AHCI mode with the OS (windows 10 pro) installed in the THNSN5512GPU7 and using the RD400 as
extra storage (windows sees it with no problem). I still would prefer to set it up in a RAID-0 configuration.

Any ideas what is going on? Could this be a BIOS issue (I am running 304 but had the same issue with 303).

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
You arent really running them in AHCI. The BIOS setting is misleading. It should really say raid enabled/disabled. NVMe and ACHI are two different protocols.

You cant build a raid array from the BIOS. My guess is your second drive is not properly initialized. Get the latest IRST drivers and IRST software. You build the array from within the OS.

Im actually a bit surprised they changed the Toshiba Drives as they are not all that common place. OCZ is limited supply and honestly Ive always dodged OCZ products like the plague. There isnt much info on the OEM drive so they may not even be compatible to be used in a raid 0 array.
I can vouch for the Samsung 950 pros in raid 0 but not OCZ with OEM Toshiba.

http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-v-WHQL.html

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand the part about creating the RAID from the OS but I want to run the OS from the RAID.

If I install the OS in the SATA drive, then create the RAID in the OS with the IRST drivers and software then boot with the Windows 10 install disk,
will the RAID be seen so I can install the OS there?

Alternatively, I currently have the OS running in one of the NVMe SSD's. Can I create the RAID-0 with the other NVMe SSD? I guess the OS will
be gone but I can reinstall, if the OS boot disk sees the RAID.

Thanks again!