cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idiot posting. Help with 6950x and and R5E V10 overclocking....

skypine27
Level 7
Ok so, I dont like to call myself an idiot but....

My overclocking patience has long since left the station years ago.

Im running a 6950x and new (as of today) R5E V10 (just swapped out a regular R5E for it).

I dont fully get the intel Turbo Boost Max thing.

In the BIOS, I have it set to:

CPU CORE RATIO: Sync All Cores
and the multi set to 42 x

V Core 1.30v

Which is the exact same settings I had the 6950x set to in my previous "regular" R5E

Now when I ran the USB drive that came with the V10 edition, it had something about Intel Turbo Boost. But I didn't manually google the actual Windows update for this and install it manually.

I think gaming wise (which is all I do), I'd be better off with 9 cores set to 38 or so and the "best" core (the * is next to Core 9) set to 43 or 44, if I can swing it. But ever time I try this, it wont boot.

Anyone else here have experience with the 6950x, R5E v10, and getting 43 or better out of their "best' core?

Thx
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Don't have BW-E so can't help with specifics...but I'd recommend you carefully read through

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/4/
http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/05/31/get-best-performance-broadwell-e-processors-asus-thermal-control-t...

Oh, and in my experience, the idiots are the ones that don't ask questions 😉

Hivemind
Level 8
skypine27 wrote:
Ok so, I dont like to call myself an idiot but....

My overclocking patience has long since left the station years ago.

Im running a 6950x and new (as of today) R5E V10 (just swapped out a regular R5E for it).

I dont fully get the intel Turbo Boost Max thing.

In the BIOS, I have it set to:

CPU CORE RATIO: Sync All Cores
and the multi set to 42 x

V Core 1.30v

Which is the exact same settings I had the 6950x set to in my previous "regular" R5E

Now when I ran the USB drive that came with the V10 edition, it had something about Intel Turbo Boost. But I didn't manually google the actual Windows update for this and install it manually.

I think gaming wise (which is all I do), I'd be better off with 9 cores set to 38 or so and the "best" core (the * is next to Core 9) set to 43 or 44, if I can swing it. But ever time I try this, it wont boot.

Anyone else here have experience with the 6950x, R5E v10, and getting 43 or better out of their "best' core?

Thx

oke if you are sure that 1.30v is stable set your cpu to the following

ASUS Multicore Enhancement: Disabled
Cpu Core Ratio :By Specific Core (then set all cores to the ratio you want (42 i guess) and you can try to set the *core a step higher to 43)
Fully Manual Mode: Disabled
CPU Core Voltage:Adaptive Mode ---Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage 1.300 Volt

I have a 6900k stable with 4 cores at 4.3ghz and 4 on 4.2ghz with Intel turbo boost 3.0 woking fine @ 1.270volt and avx offset at 1

skypine27
Level 7
Arne:

Thanks for the links. Though they didnt seem to be too specific as to how to actually config the BIOS to get it set up right

Hivemind:

Thanks for the setup info (this is more what I was looking for). I followed your exact instructions and the system does boot with 9 x cores at 42x and the one * core at 43x.

However, once in Windows 10 and running various CPU bench/test tools, most monitoring software shows all the cores at 42x, including core 9 (the core with the * next to it in the BIOS(). Im wondering, is there any kind of additional Windows software I need to run to allow the one special core to hit 43x? I say "most" because the only software that shows 43 x is the Dual Intelligent Processor section in AI Suite, its says 43x. And over towards the right I can click the TPU thing and It shows a round graphic of all the cores and when I rotate it over to core 10, its shows 43x (all others show 42). However in the BIOS its core 9 that I have set to 43, not 10.

Anyways thanks for the help guys. I think this "trick" is a feature that has not really been fully implemented yet and needs a lot more support form windows as well as the BIOS to make it much more automated / transparent. For now it looks like you even have to drag specific app names into the Asus AI Suite section to "allow" them to use this feature??!

Edit:

I ran 3DMark Ultra and when I looked at the results, in the CPU section it reports "max CPU clock" about 4298 so at least "one" of the cores is running at 43 I guess?

2nd edit:

I haven't Installed Intel Turbo Boost 3.0. Is this required or redundant (not at home to test right now). In an article on the subject I just read this:
"ASUS has told me that they have/will have a software package that enables TBM3 to be applied to multiple cores at once, whereas the Intel software will only accelerate a single program. It should be interesting to test."

Can anyone from asus comment on where to DL this?
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

skypine27 wrote:
I haven't Installed Intel Turbo Boost 3.0.

Pretty sure you need that driver to make this stuff work...

You can download Intel Turbo boost 3.0 driver here https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25994/eng/Intel_Turbo_Boost_Max_Technology_3_0.zip

There is a newer version 1.0.0.1027 but that one forces to install the Intel turbo boost utility to, and you don't need that with the newest windows 10.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Version 1607 has now Native support for Turbo boost 3.0 with the driver only so that is why i use ITB3.0 version 1.0.0.1025 as that one has a option to only install the driver

Unzip the file and then go to Device manager select the unknown hardware that is left there and then manual navigate to \drivers\x64 that is in the zip file.

after that windows 10 will auto Prioritize what process will run on the 43 core (Mostly the foreground app)
But don't think that it will always assign the 43 core to for example a game it only assigns that core if the process utilization is high

If Windows auto update installs automatically the newest version with the Utility you can always disable that or use it your choice.

ITB3.0 is not just for the * Core it can be used for other cores as well so you can try multiple cores at 43 if you like.
It is a driver to make Windows aware of the Core multipliers and by that windows can now manage the priority of the processes and assign a core to it.

With https://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_536.zip
you can check the core speed real time with the CPU#0 windows that you get once you start the program

Menthol
Level 14
Windows will install the driver as an update, the APP can be used to assign a core and application, there is also AVX offset to lower core speed for AVX instructions that increase heat, they all have there intended purposes if you use your system as a work station

Legolas
Level 9
Do you have a good cooling solution like Corsair H100 or liquid cooling?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Do you have a good cooling solution like Corsair H100 or liquid cooling?

A decent one. Custom loop with 3 x radiators. (theres a 420 mm rad in the front you cant see in the pic:)

skypine27
Level 7
If Win 10's latest build supports this feature, then I"m not downloading an additional software package.

Thx for all the good info guys.