i've bought asus rog GL752VW recently here are my rigs

core-i7 6700HQ
ram 16g
gtx960m 4gvram
128g ssd +1TB HDD
17.3inch full HD
win 10 home 64bit , x64 based processor
if u need to know anything else please let me know

when i first booted my laptop and started battlefield 3 FPS on ultra setting was like 45-55 FPS then after a couple of min it came down to about 35-45 today
it dropped to like 29-35 avg temp is approximately 80C i feel that there is something limiting gpu's performace or is it temperature? but i dont think this temp for
laptop is too much any help appreciated
13 REPLIES 13

gustmi4
Level 8
Seems Asus has set the throttling temp to 75-78C on the GTX960M.

Here's a long thread about the issue:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

-Mikael

gustmi4 wrote:
Seems Asus has set the throttling temp to 75-78C on the GTX960M.

Here's a long thread about the issue:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

-Mikael

i guess this is the problem but it seems quite old thread is there like updated version of that bios if u have any info on that?

Sorry to say I don't have any more info.

The last post in that thread is from today (page 26) and it seems to be pretty active. You could probably get the best answer by posting on that thread.
Did only look quickly at the thread and it seems they're modding the vbios themself, so it wouldn't be asus approved and at your own risk.
Though, as said, they will probably be the best to give you some more information.

-Mikael

gustmi4 wrote:
Sorry to say I don't have any more info.

The last post in that thread is from today (page 26) and it seems to be pretty active. You could probably get the best answer by posting on that thread.
Did only look quickly at the thread and it seems they're modding the vbios themself, so it wouldn't be asus approved and at your own risk.
Though, as said, they will probably be the best to give you some more information.

-Mikael

thanks yeah it wont be asus approved and its not that safe to play with bios and if i do it will be my first time so u know the problem
(sorry for the very late reply)

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Mustafaw

Try cranking the fans up this should lower temps.

hi Nate, do u think using a cooler might help?

Nate152
A laptop cooler should help but I don't know how much since I don't use a laptop, you could ask this question in the notebook section of the forum.

You could try installing gpu tweak II and crank up the gpu fan and see how much temps drop, you may also be able to overclock your gtx 960m for improved performance.

Nate152 wrote:
you may be able to overclock your gtx 960m for improved performance as well.

Wouldn't that be pretty counterproductive as it's already throttling?

-Mikael

Nate152 wrote:
A laptop cooler should help but I don't know how much since I don't use a laptop, you could ask this question in the notebook section of the forum.

You could try installing gpu tweak II and crank up the gpu fan and see how much temps drop, you may also be able to overclock your gtx 960m for improved performance.

cooler seems helping but not that much i guess, i installed msi afterburner i seem to be able to play with both gpu and memory clock but surprisingly not with the fan!
i installed another software to play with the fan speed again i couldnt is it possible that they havent installed the chip to manually control the gpu fan speed?im gonna try gpu teak II as u suggested and see (really sorry for the late reply)