cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g72gx completely unbootable after Win10 update

Dave_Welch
Level 7
I am fixing my friend's asus g72gx laptop. It auto-updated to Windows 10 some months back without a problem. I set up automatic security updates. That seems to have broken the computer beyond easy repair. The machine still gets past POST. The bios loads fine. The problem is after that Windows fails to load. I did get recovery options once, but now do not even get to that menu. Based on reading forum posts I did update the bios to "G72GX-ASUS-0602". This had no real effect however. I am completely stuck and should also mention I cannot boot off any other media: usb, dvd (systemrescue, Ubuntu, Windows 10 installer). Nothing boots. I suppose this could be hardware issue but it seems very coincidental. Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch,
Dave
3 REPLIES 3

Bill
Level 7
Hello Dave Welch
Are you able to access the BIOS menu?
Or can you access the factory reset menu? You can do this by pressing the F9 button when power on
Thank you

Yes, Bios works fine and I can access it. I do see in the Bios the "reset to default options" (or something similar) but I didn't bother to try that since it doesn't seem to be Bios related (as mentioned above I upgraded the Bios but it had no effect).

Bill
Level 7
Hello Dave
It seems like a corrupted operating system that can not be booted.
If there are valuable data and files in the HDD, I suggest backing them up first
and then recover the system to factory default by using the recovery partition if available, thank you