cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74 unnecessary programs/processes at start-up

Nudie_Novak
Level 7
Hello everyone, and good morning/afternoon/evening!

I'd like to start out by saying that I've previously owned an ASUS (it was a G72, hence why I came back for more!). I currently own the G74 (best buy model) that I've had for about 3 months now. It's a beautiful piece of technology that runs just about everything at a fascinating pace, makes it look amazing while doing so, and the sound...well the speakers sound like they're facing the opposite direction, while simultaneously submerged in water, but that's okay!

On to the real problem: Unnecessary programs/processes at start-up. I've looked at several other threads, but they all seem to point me in the same direction. Whether it's a site about certain unnecessary programs (which nearly 60% of said programs aren't located on my computer anyway) or a site that simply tells me to disable everything, it's not specifically what I'm looking for.

Now perhaps I'm a little greedy, or lazy...or both, but I'm looking for a more detailed guide. What to enable, and disable, that won't mess with any of the following: integrity of the computer itself, my themes (I like my dark purple toolbar...), and my internet. I like having hotkeys and such, but they're not so very necessary. I don't know if I could disable the backlighting of my keyboard, but I don't really want to so let's keep that out too.

The reason for doing this: My computer runs fairly cool, even in a boiling hot room (I live in New York, it's fairly chilly out so the windows are closed and the heat is on full blast), but I'd like it to run cooler, if at all possible. That, and I'm running anywhere from 95-108 processes at a time! My old computer ran 53, and that seemed to slow it down, so I was hoping I could at least turn off 20 or so (i'd even settle for 10...).

Thank you in advance,
Nudie PokéNudie Novak
33 REPLIES 33

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

You could look at this forum about BLOATWARE that you don't need (P4G and ATK hotkeys are important for your notebook to work as it should)

Also you could download CCLEANER and run the register in that program then it would clean old register files that you don't need any more 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi

You could look at this forum about BLOATWARE that you don't need (P4G and ATK hotkeys are important for your notebook to work as it should)

Also you could download CCLEANER and run the register in that program then it would clean old register files that you don't need any more 🙂

I have CCLEANER and I love it. I run the registry cleaner every other day or so (it always finds a file or two broken). I know it also has a program deletion utility, but I find that it's a bit extreme with it's selections. It seems to think that just because I haven't used a program in the past two weeks, that it should simply be erased. o-o

chrsplmr wrote:
If you google BlackViper..you will also find the most extensive services tweak guides on the net..in my view..
for all os's......best of luck.c.

I've looked at BlackViper before as well, but I was scared. o_o; All the stuff that it lists just went over my head, and I got tired of reading after like five minutes. Granted, I was running on no sleep...so perhaps I'll give it another go.

WhirledNews wrote:
Do a clean install.

Life simply isn't that easy sometimes. As I've said, this computers been mine for around three months now. It would take a god awful long time for me to section away everything I actually wanted onto a hard drive, clean install (I don't have the discs for this either... Unless there's another way. I'm not extremely tech savvy, but if you point me in the right direction, I can handle it).

Thanks again guys, I'll hop on some of these ideas and get back with you on some results.
~Nudie Novak

80-110 processes at boot is an insane number! I boot with ATK only plus the windows stuff, and I'm running 40 at boot. If I am benching I kill everything through the windows task mangler and run at lean 30 processes.

You absolutely should do a clean install. Uninstalling this number of programs is going to leave ghost garbage in your registry, and forgotten directories and log files on your drive, and sometimes mystery processes that run that you don't even know what they were for (Kodak software is terrible for this).

I find that reducing the number of processes running does reduce the idle temperature too. For example, in Linux when I'm running X windows (and gdm) my G74/core i7 2630QM idles at ~38 deg C in a 21C room. Kill X and gdm, plus a few other processes, and the idle reduces to 35C.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Nudie_Novak wrote:
Life simply isn't that easy sometimes. As I've said, this computers been mine for around three months now. It would take a god awful long time for me to section away everything I actually wanted onto a hard drive, clean install (I don't have the discs for this either... Unless there's another way. I'm not extremely tech savvy, but if you point me in the right direction, I can handle it).

Thanks again guys, I'll hop on some of these ideas and get back with you on some results.
~Nudie Novak

I understand....once I've been using a computer for awhile, I hate the thought of re-installing everything on it. I'm actually getting ready to do a clean install on my "workhorse" laptop, and I kind of dread it. Just so much stuff on there to keep track of.

But, that said...if you DO think you'd want to do a clean install, moving your stuff is probably the hardest and most tedious part. You can download the Windows installer and all the drivers you'd need, ahead of time, and have a nice minty-fresh installation in an hour or two. Of course....you'd have to re-install all your programs after that...but let's not dwell....

I know it is a pain, and I dread doing it to when its time comes, but all windows OS flavours in past eventually needed a reinstall anyways, so I guess I've learned to accept it. Its worth it though, not the least of which for the amount of potential down time you'll avoid in the future once your bloated and fragmented filesystem system reaches "overbloat" where windows' own limits to cope are exceeded.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

BrodyBoy wrote:
I understand....once I've been using a computer for awhile, I hate the thought of re-installing everything on it. I'm actually getting ready to do a clean install on my "workhorse" laptop, and I kind of dread it. Just so much stuff on there to keep track of.

But, that said...if you DO think you'd want to do a clean install, moving your stuff is probably the hardest and most tedious part. You can download the Windows installer and all the drivers you'd need, ahead of time, and have a nice minty-fresh installation in an hour or two. Of course....you'd have to re-install all your programs after that...but let's not dwell....

It's mostly Steam games, Music, and my anti virus program. Nothing another 27 hours of download time won't solve. ^^ Could be worse, but as you've already said: TEDIOUS. So how would I go about obtaining my OS again if I ran a clean install? You said something about Windows Installer, but don't I require the fancy little 'key' they give you? Perhaps I'm ovethinking it.

Nudie_Novak wrote:
It's mostly Steam games, Music, and my anti virus program. Nothing another 27 hours of download time won't solve. ^^ Could be worse, but as you've already said: TEDIOUS. So how would I go about obtaining my OS again if I ran a clean install? You said something about Windows Installer, but don't I require the fancy little 'key' they give you? Perhaps I'm ovethinking it.
Fortunately, Steam games can just be copied over to another HDD, can't they? That alone would save a lot of time. All your data can be moved to a different partition....you wouldn't have to completely re-construct everything.

Basically, you download an ISO file and make a DVD or USB Windows installer with it. As long as you re-install the same edition of Windows, you can legally re-use your existing Windows Product Key. That key is valid (for that edition of WIndows) for the life of the machine.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Fortunately, Steam games can just be copied over to another HDD, can't they? That alone would save a lot of time. All your data can be moved to a different partition....you wouldn't have to completely re-construct everything.

Basically, you download an ISO file and make a DVD or USB Windows installer with it. As long as you re-install the same edition of Windows, you can legally re-use your existing Windows Product Key. That key is valid (for that edition of WIndows) for the life of the machine.

I derped. I can do one of two things with them (the steam games). Either move them over to the other hard drive in my computer (or one of the partitions on that drive), or move them onto an external. And I think the windows key is on the bottom of my computer, if i'm not mistaken).

Yes, it's on the bottom.