cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your HDD led ever stops for more than 10 seconds?

NP-complete
Level 7
The HDD light of my G752VY is never off for more than ten seconds or so. Probably it's totally normal, I just wanted to be sure. Long after the Windows 10 boot, and without any running window on the screen, it's impossible to see the led off for more than ten seconds, it eventually blinks again. According to the task manager, the processes "System", "Service host: local service", "McAfee scanner service", "McAfee service host" are making a 0.1 Mb/s transfer from time to time (even after a clean boot or in safe mode). Since System and Service Host are Windows processes, I guess it's impossible to see a fully off HDD led for more than 20 seconds or so in Windows, even if no planned background tasks such as antivirus scans, defrag, etc are running. Am I right?

I read somewhere that disabling autoplay could stop it, because Windows checks for devices state updates from time to time. But it doesn't.

If this is normal and cannot be avoided, then I guess the effect of these never-stopping tiny SSD transfers are totally assumed in the SSD lifespan.
1 REPLY 1

NP-complete
Level 7
Actually, according to the task manager, the disk usage rate of process System (PID 4) is never lower than 0.1 Mb/s (actually, most of time it's 0.1 Mb/s). Regardless of what other processes do, this means that the HDD led could not be off for so long, right? Is this normal? (Maybe the disk usage of the System process is 0.1 Mb/s just because I'm running the Task Manager to watch that disk usage?)

Why does System (the kernel process of Windows) need to constantly access the disk? What is it looking for there?