cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing memory. Do I need to set defaults to the XMP profile first?

Chapel
Level 7
I'm going from 2x8 (16GB) TridentZ DDR4-4000 to 4x16 (64GB) DDR4-3600 (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-64gb-4x16gb-ddr4-dram-3600mhz-c18-memory-kit-black-cmk64g...

The TridentZ stuff is only working at like 3100Mhz right now. Just want to make sure I'm upgrading it correctly. Should I turn XMP off first in the BIOS, install it, then turn it back on with the new stuff?
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Chapel

Power down your pc and clear the cmos then install your new ram.

Let us know how it goes.

Chapel
Level 7
Yeah? So start over with all my overclocking as well?

Chapel
Level 7
so, I figured I'd try tossing it in and it worked.
seems like it's operating at 1466Mhz according to CPU-Z (2932Mhz, I believe?) which is exactly what my 4000Mhz RAM was running at.
The SPD channel doesn't show up in CPU-Z. It booted right up though.

I'm wondering how I can stretch it to another 500Mhz (say 1700/3400)?

Nate152
That's great !

Try setting your ram manually instead of using XMP.

Slowly increase the Dram Frequency bumping it up one step at a time, you may need to increase SA and IO voltages as you go.

Chapel
Level 7
I see that this RAM supports 2 profiles. A regular performance mode (which I think this is set at) and a 1.35V mode (which I assume is 'maximum performance mode')
Is there any drawbacks to trying the higher profile before that? I've read up on RAM tweaking a bunch and it doesn't make complete sense to me.

Nate152
By setting your ram manually you won't be using either of the profiles but you'll be setting it to the specs of the maximum performance profile.

On the Extreme tweaker Tab

1) Set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
2) Set the Dram Voltage to 1.35v
3) Set the CPU System Agent voltage to 1.25v
4) Set the CPU VCCIO voltage to 1.25v
5) Go to Dram Timing Control and enter in the primary timings for your kit.
6) Back on the Extreme Tweaker Tab set the Dram frequency at 3200MHz then F10 and Enter.

If it boots go back into the bios and increase the Dram frequency one step at a time and F10 and Enter.

Nate152 wrote:
By setting your ram manually you won't be using either of the profiles but you'll be setting it to the specs of the maximum performance profile.

On the Extreme tweaker Tab

1) Set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
2) Set the Dram Voltage to 1.35v
3) Set the CPU System Agent voltage to 1.25v
4) Set the CPU VCCIO voltage to 1.25v
5) Go to Dram Timing Control and enter in the primary timings for your kit.
6) Back on the Extreme Tweaker Tab set the Dram frequency at 3200MHz then F10 and Enter.

If it boots go back into the bios and increase the Dram frequency one step at a time and F10 and Enter.

Are these the primary timings?
Speed Rating PC4-28800 (3600MHz)
Tested Latency 18-19-19-39
Tested Speed 3600MHz
Tested Voltage 1.35V

Nate152
Yes and there may only be three timings to enter as the two middle timings are tied together.

Enter

command rate 2