cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there a lot of problems with the Maximus IX Hero

isaacc
Level 7
I'm gathering together the components for my new build and am all but committed to the Maximus IX Hero. It seems to me as if there are a lot of issues with this board. It's making me nervous about pulling the trigger on the Hero. It's not even the money, rather I really, really don't want to spend an ungodly number of hours debugging and dealing with customer support.

Is it my imagination because I have the Hero in mind? Maybe it's because the Hero is a very popular board and the many people who aren't having a problem naturally don't post that everything is just fine. Issues with the other Asus Z270 boards aren't helping my perception. Is anyone else noticing this about the IX Hero?
14 REPLIES 14

mcleod52
Level 8
I've had the Hero running more than a week now and couldn't be happier. No issues and everything running smoothly from the motherboard perspective. Now the Kraken x52 is another issue - the CAM software has had issues, but the latest version of it seems to have solved the problems.

Been running my IX Hero for a couple of weeks now. Even under Win7 I have had no problems with my current config. I updated my BIOS to 801 and could not be happier.

I primarily updated BIOS for #4 and #5

MAXIMUS IX HERO BIOS 0801
1.Improved PS2 devices/VGA card compatibility
2.Modified OA key function in legacy OS.
3.Improved System Performance.
4.Fixed overclocking profile naming issue.
5.Modified Thermal Control function.

Now I do have new stuff I put on this mobo. Legacy issues will always be present for some. That don't mean that they can't be fixed.

my new machine
Maximus IX Hero
16g 2x8g Gskill Tridentz 3600
1070FE
2x Samsung 850evo 240g
Antec edge 750w
custom loop

I had mine running for a couple day's just to make sure it worked. I did notice that the temp's varied quite a bit between programs as well as the rog realbench reporting my clocks improperly. The only other thing I had happen was my memory didn't want to run over 2400 but again I haven't put any time at all into it and my BIOS is probably the first BIOS released. None of this is surprising given that this is a new chipset and a new board, all of it can be worked out with updates. For running stock settings and getting a ballpark of temps it's flawless. Once I get done with my cable management and put the panels back on I can start toying around with it to see what it does and doesn't like. (side note: I did the auto OC thing and hit 5ghz 15m realbench stable, also hit 340 bclk with a preset but didn't stick with either any amount of time, just mem xmp wasn't happy)

Klute_Onren

Maximus IX Hero
16g 2x8g Gskill Tridentz 3600
1070FE
2x Samsung 850evo 240g
Antec edge 750w
custom loop

It's a damn shame that those memory sticks don't like XMP. Were those on the capatable list? I would imagine that you paid a slight premium for those.

I like asus for their premium boards, I like gigabyte more for this price range. Gigabyte Auros z270 Gaming 5 or Gaming 7 is insanely good for this price. This biggest feature is Dual LAN for advanced networking, RGBW lighting headers as opposed to RGB (for that crisp white light that's not blue), both have a very good monoblock available (I got mine from EK), I believe the gigabyte boards have more USB 3.1 support. The difference between gaming 5 and gaming 7 is small; most notably crisper audio from the gaming 7, thunderbolt availability on the gaming 7 as well as some minor temperature sensors and motherboard switches (won't use the jumpers as much IF YOU NEED).

thegreenthing wrote:

It's a damn shame that those memory sticks don't like XMP. Were those on the capatable list? I would imagine that you paid a slight premium for those.

I have attempted almost no troubleshooting IE: trying the other set of slot's for my two DIMM's. Also my BIOS was the one that came with the board, not even mentioned in the BIOS list on the Asus website. This ram set is not on the qualified vendor list but that's not what I'm looking for, I don't want set and forget. With current setup I can run asus optimization and hit 5ghz no issues. But I'm looking for the ability to tweak and this ram set is said to be for those who want to push their system with constant testing and stressing.

For anyone who want's to set and forget I would look for a known ram set that'll run XMP out of the box, then push the Ghz to your cooling potential and chip silicone lottery. At the same time if you are a set and forget person, the ram will honestly make little difference. This machine runs solid and responsive no matter the setting's, click click 5ghz and can't even tell the ram is at 2133.

Even in synthetic benchmark's the score is the same at 4.8Ghz cinebench whether the bclk is 100 or 200. Basically it's fast or fast or fast. I built this machine because I wanted to tweak all the little bit's, for average use I can't tell much of a difference to my x99 5820k w/950 pro m.2 So average use was not my end goal.

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I don't think it has a "lot of problems", I think a lot of people have bought them over any other board and you'll get more people asking about issues they are having.
If something is running right you won't see anyone posting, but if there is issues you will.

The Hero has sold out twice at my local store, none of the other z270 boards have, good indicator of how many were sold, more in the general public more people using them, more might come across issues (or non-issues).

I was lucky enough to be able to use my 4 sticks of 2800Mhz DDR4 straight out of the x99 build, all 4 slots work fine,
the ones that couldn't turned out to be CPU related.

While I've owned various PC's since the late 70's, I only just built my very first PC in early Feburary. I used a Maximus IX hero. The mobo, itself, did not cause me a single problem. It booted correctly on the first attempt. The only BIOS warning message was about my CPU fan - and that warning was expected given that I had installed an AIO cooler. Updating the bios was very easy. I was a bit overwhelmed with the UEFI BIOS - it's far more complex than any BIOS that I'd used before, but the Asus manual had the info to get me thru it.

I did run into some annoyances with my build; but those were with the documentation that came with my $200 case, and my AIO cooler. Their documentation may have been sufficient for someone with several builds under their belt, who's familiar with the different options - but not for someone, who like me, was doing this for the 1st time.

Bahz
Level 12
I have 3 friends that bought the M9H and all have their system up and running with no issues at all. I would be only concerned about choosing the right memory kit as with DDR4 that will continue to be an issue if you randomly buy kits that don't have confirmed support with the motherboard. Just check the QVL before you purchase the memory kit.