cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer won't go to sleep

i_liek_turtals
Level 7
Hi there. I've been having this problem since I built this system. You can view the full specs from here. I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64. I also have AI Suite 3 installed (latest version with the latest patch for my motherboard -Z170 Pro Gaming-). So here is the situation..

To test, I disabled display turn off timer and told the computer to go to sleep after 1 minute (from windows settings). After 1 minute, literally nothing happens. I usually use display turn off timer too (I just disabled to test the sleep timer) and when I tell the displays go to sleep (let's say after a minute again) this happens. Display turns off, then it goes back on after a few seconds for no reason. No inputs, no nothing. It just turns back on as if something is preventing it.

I then started going through AI Suite's EPU settings. Checked "away mode", (my system is set to performance mode since it's overclocked but I tried balanced and away mode, the result is the same) I set display timer to 5 minute and sleep timer to 10. 5 minutes later, same thing happens with the display and after 10 minutes, system just keeps idling instead of going to sleep. I then decided to check the sleep timers with the "powercfg /waketimers" command but nothing shows up there.

What can I do here? I'm thinking of uninstalling AI Suite, see if it's causing the issue but I remember doing that in the past (for a different reason) and I had to go through some issues. So I'm a bit hesitant to uninstall it again. I also have several programs installed which may prevent sleeping (like Plex media server) but for the sake of testing, I closed those kinds of programs and it still didn't go to sleep.

I don't know what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

haihane
Level 13
perhaps your network activity (magic packet) is preventing your pc from going to sleep properly?

https://www.howtogeek.com/170716/how-to-stop-network-activity-from-waking-your-windows-pc/
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Unfortunately it didn't help 😕

if you're using any new peripherals keyboard, mouse, etc unplug them one at a time. I had a mouse from logitech that wouldn't allow mine to sleep, and I've had a wifi dongle that woud keep it from sleeping. that maybe a bad option but might be worth a try. windows has failed updates on fresh installs that kept it from sleeping as well.

Unplugged everything. Again, it didn't go to sleep.

Maybe a driver or a software is causing the issue. The only way I see it, I have to format and install drivers and software one by one and see which one is causing the issue but that 's gonna take a long ass time to solve one problem.

Try this

https://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/

Same thing happened to me months ago when I did a whole slew of updated drivers. Can't remember if it was the mouse or LAN..but I could put my computer to sleep in 5 seconds later it would wake back up again. After much googling, this solved it for me

i_liek_turtals
Level 7
It turns out the issue was caused by the drivers of my headset, Plantronics RIG 500 (do not buy it by the way). Here's what happened, I formatted my rig and started installing drivers for my hardware one by one and every time, I did a check with "powercfg /requests" (run it as admin). It only listed the headset's microphone. I disable the microphone, waited 5 minutes to see if the system would go to sleep and lo behold, it did.

I sent a mail to Plantronics about the issue. They told me that they'll investigate and get back to me but after 2 weeks, I did not get any sort of reply. I sent them a second mail telling them to go **** them selves and closed the subject there. Now I have to disable my micrphone everytime I'm done using it. I'm gonna get rid of it as soon as possible because apperantly Plantronics can't do software.

i liek turtals wrote:
It turns out the issue was caused by the drivers of my headset, Plantronics RIG 500 (do not buy it by the way). Here's what happened, I formatted my rig and started installing drivers for my hardware one by one and every time, I did a check with "powercfg /requests" (run it as admin). It only listed the headset's microphone. I disable the microphone, waited 5 minutes to see if the system would go to sleep and lo behold, it did.

I sent a mail to Plantronics about the issue. They told me that they'll investigate and get back to me but after 2 weeks, I did not get any sort of reply. I sent them a second mail telling them to go **** them selves and closed the subject there. Now I have to disable my micrphone everytime I'm done using it. I'm gonna get rid of it as soon as possible because apperantly Plantronics can't do software.

I found this forums after having the same issue. Thank you so much for posting the solution.

So many times you find the poster not posting the solution but closing off with "Fixed it!" 😕 - so yes, thank you, you saved me hours trying to trouble shoot this issue.

vennacher
Level 7
If you haven't already, try the 'powercfg -requestsoverride' command. This may eliminate the need to disable your microphone.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

i_liek_turtals
Level 7
Oh thanks for the tip. I didn't know you can override those requests. I don't have in depth knowledge of how powercfg works so can you help me?

POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE [ ]

I'm stuck here

I figured out the "Caller Type" and "Name" but I'm not sure what to type down as request. It says "Display, System, AwayMode" but I don't even know what those mean or do.