cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Apex EATX12V-2 connector

NIK111
Level 7
I have my Apex all hooked up and running.I noticed on the mb there is a second eight pin EATX12V-2 connector below the top one.I never owned a mb with 2 of these on the board.Is it a good thing to put power to the second one also.I am overclocked now with a I7-7700k at 5.2 with 1.392v..Also,what is the reason for the second one,and what does it help voltage wise..Inquiring minds would like to know...
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Helps to distribute power supply evenly over a greater area as it were, I would imagine...for Overclocking might be a good idea...which might be why they put it on the board...if you are OCing you should have a PSU with the connectors to populate both 8pin connectors....

Right on.My Pwr Supply is a Corsair RM-850X.I will hook up the second 8 pin cpu pwr supply cable later on today.Thanks for your advice....

Raja
Level 13
For normal overclocking, you don't need the second power connector at all. Even when pushed to the upper limits, the Kaby Lake CPUs consume less than 200W ( it's actually under 150W for the most part), when pushed hard. A single 8-pin can supply over 400W of power...