cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Fan Controls

Denaba
Level 7
In the UEFI there are some controls that I am currently trying to setup because I got some new 4-pin case fans and I want to utilize the PWM that these fans can do. But one option in the section of fans is "Chassis Fan 1-4 Q-Fan Source", there are many options (default is CPU) and reading the manual it is not clear what the detailed benefits are.

What is the difference if I leave the default CPU vs the Motherboard option? Will the fans run lower because the motherboard in general is cooler than the CPU? Will using the CPU setting run the fans faster? Just not sure on which one is ideal or which one will give better performance over the other.

I don't have a separate sensor to install so no need to use those Ext options.

Current UEFI is 2202
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]
2 REPLIES 2

davemon50
Level 11
Yes, the higher temperature for any one input will ramp up your fans based on your fan cooling profile, at least those that are controlled via that input. My CPU temp is always higher than my motherboard temp whenever I check it, and I assume that's normal, but I did set it up to cool based on 3 temp inputs, and the motherboard is second amongst them (CPU is first). Also, if I remember correctly you don't have to use all three temperature options, I think it's "up to" 3 so you could also just monitor both the CPU and the motherboard and then let the computer decide. In my opinion that is safer in case anything goes wrong with any individual part or sensor. Just my opinion though, others probably attack it differently.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Yes, the higher temperature for any one input will ramp up your fans based on your fan cooling profile, at least those that are controlled via that input. My CPU temp is always higher than my motherboard temp whenever I check it, and I assume that's normal, but I did set it up to cool based on 3 temp inputs, and the motherboard is second amongst them (CPU is first). Also, if I remember correctly you don't have to use all three temperature options, I think it's "up to" 3 so you could also just monitor both the CPU and the motherboard and then let the computer decide. In my opinion that is safer in case anything goes wrong with any individual part or sensor. Just my opinion though, others probably attack it differently.

Thanks for the reply davemon50, good to know. I am not overclocking my system (yet), but for now I just want to make sure the settings are correct and how they work. Thanks again
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]