cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Color banding with new PG278QR

Spark77
Level 7
Hi,

So I just got this monitor (PG278QR ) it is great until you get to something dark.

The colors begin to band horribly, even a 4K movie or LOW settings on a game such as DIshonored 2 doesnt produce any improvement.

I've tried calibrating for the past few days to the best of my knowledge and with tutorials.
Nothing helped, messing with the gamma helps to improve a bit but makes everything too dark eventually. increasing the gamma just makes it worse/washed out.

I compared my friend's PG278Q and its nothing like mine, seems I can only get total blackness or a grey mess, nothing in between looks right.

I added photos of the issue in a 4K movie and Dishonored 2 ( You can see how dark areas become separated and pixelated)

Would appreciate the help.
Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

Dmitriy957
Level 7
I know this pain. You can't do nothing about it. It's AU Optronics panel.
I had exacly the same on PG248Q and AOC AG241QG. Users with Dell S2417DG and 2716DG have the same. I will never buy again monitor with AU Optronics panel.

My friend has the asus PG278Q, nothing even close to that.
My Gamma out of the box is about 1.4 (...) and I cant get it further than 1.8

How am I suppose to live like this ASUS 😞

If they wont RMA and the general recommendation is "there's nothing to do" I'm gonna sell and never-ever buy any ASUS gear ever again.

Dmitriy957
Level 7
ASUS is great company. PG278Q is old model, so the panels can be good, but all new monitors on TN AUO panels is suffer with color banding and other issue.

Eleiyas
Level 10
Who said they wont RMA?

Have you been in contact with ASUS support in your region about the issue you've been having?

:mad::mad:

I recently bought an ASUS ROG PG278QR 2k; Unfortunately I soon found a defect in the games where the setting is darker but also watching a video on youtube where the picture is not in full light but somewhat in twilight.

In the dark parts, or more generally, if the environment is at night, you can not see a black image or dark shades, but rather "patches" that vary from brown to dark green, really horrendous, plus the contours of these Areas are jagged. I repeat: as you approach a light source or the picture is daytime there are no problems.

I'm using the latest version of nvidia drivers with Windows 10 64 bit. Among the tests I have also tried to connect the monitor to another PC with a different card and the problem persists, also tried to replace the display port cable without success

Auto edit:

after i research in the web , maybe i have found a solution for the problem ( work in progress for variuos test)

related to this post:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88573-PG248Q-Is-this-normal/page12

now is much better for me

thanks

XanderASUS wrote:
:mad::mad:

I recently bought an ASUS ROG PG278QR 2k; Unfortunately I soon found a defect in the games where the setting is darker but also watching a video on youtube where the picture is not in full light but somewhat in twilight.

In the dark parts, or more generally, if the environment is at night, you can not see a black image or dark shades, but rather "patches" that vary from brown to dark green, really horrendous, plus the contours of these Areas are jagged. I repeat: as you approach a light source or the picture is daytime there are no problems.

I'm using the latest version of nvidia drivers with Windows 10 64 bit. Among the tests I have also tried to connect the monitor to another PC with a different card and the problem persists, also tried to replace the display port cable without success

Xander1, Do you mean setting the Dynamic Color to Limited ?

That doesn't solve anything, it just makes everything so dull and gray you are hardly noticing the banding but its still there.

Hello, maybe it will not solve definitively but waiting for a definitive solution, compared to before, for me it is much better 🙂

Do you even make a research before buying these kind of monitors?
Asus clearly don't test their monitors before production.

Now you paid a lot of money just to get a daily headache.
Welcome to Asus Monitors