cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run a Dell PERC 6/i on the Maximus IV Extreme?

DarkSeedRA
Level 7
Has anyone managed to get a Dell PERC 6/i to run on the Maximus IV Extreme Rev 3?
Intel 4-Core I7-2600K | Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Liquid Cooling | Asus Maximus IV Extreme v3 Motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (4x 8GB) | 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB (SLI) | 6x Dell 146GB (SAS 10K) RAID5 + 5x WD Caviar Black 1TB | LITE-ON SATA DVD Burner | Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W PSU | Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Case | Asus MK241 24" LCD Monitor
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Out of interest why would you think it would not work?

Edit: Just saw your post in the other thread.

Sorry mate not able to test this one at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

So here is the situation I have with my Dell PERC 6/I. If the card is in the system I cannot access the BIOS or boot from CD/DVD. POST code shows as 00 and the Boot_Device_LED is on. I have tried setting the PERC as the primary boot device and not with no change (disable PERC BIOS and Int13 support). If I remove the PERC card from the system then I can access the BIOS and I can boot from CD/DVD.

I would really like to use this card and the 6 10K drives but cannot install an OS or manage the system if the card is in the system.
Intel 4-Core I7-2600K | Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Liquid Cooling | Asus Maximus IV Extreme v3 Motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (4x 8GB) | 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB (SLI) | 6x Dell 146GB (SAS 10K) RAID5 + 5x WD Caviar Black 1TB | LITE-ON SATA DVD Burner | Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W PSU | Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Case | Asus MK241 24" LCD Monitor

Unless someone has a solution I am going to just rip all the SAS drives out and deal without the extra storage and speed I was hoping for. The PERC and drives were free (old equipment from servers being decommissioned) but I did pay $50 for the SAS cables and many hours of work. Could have put that toward an SSD. Oh well.

HiVizMan
Level 40
As I said I would love to help but unless I go out and buy a similar perc card I am unable to offer anything constructive beyond is there a Perc support forum???
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey i know this is a late reply but since im doing the same thing pretty much (to an older rampage formula motherboard) i thought i might share.

I had same situation no boot after putting the card in, after googling a bit it turns out i had to cover pins 5 and 6 on the heat sink side and it works a treat, well at least boots i am in the process of initialisation.

You can see what i mean here

http://communities.intel.com/thread/24587

utnorris
Level 7
Yep, as stated above, on PERC 5i/6i cards you have to cover the 5 and 6 pin. Most use finger nail polish to do the trick. This has to do with the way the Intel chipset reads the card. For further information go here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/359025/perc-5-i-raid-card-tips-and-benchmarks