cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which is the right GPU-MHz??? ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS

Atifan
Level 7
Hi all,

I have a new ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS.

I want to test if the Clock-Speed will be constant in gaming or if the card throttle down speed.
I set the Gaming Mode in Asus GPU-Tweak2, so Clock Speed should be: GPU Base Clock : 1695 MHz and GPU Boost Clock : 1835 MHz
But all other tools show me higher MHz as set in Asus Tweak2.
Whats the real Mhz Clock Speed which my card is running, can someone help me?

Tools:
Asus GPU-Tweak2 -> set to Gaming Mode -> GPU Clock Speed should be 1835 but in graph it shows 1949
GPU-Z: Speed: 1949
MSI-Afterburner: 1924
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4: 1999
6 REPLIES 6

Eleiyas
Level 10

Nate152
This is GPU Boost 3.0 at work, as long as temps are kept reasonably low GPU Boost 3.0 will overclock past advertised speeds.

Because the Strix gpu's have such good cooling, you can expect higher overclocks out of the box.

Hi,

@Eleiyas@ASUS
I usesd the older Version of GPU Tweak 2 -> v 1.4.6.6
I did now install new version 1.4.7.3 but there is same.

@Nate152
Ok, that would explain it. Thx. But that would mean, that is not possible to overlock to a limit, because there is an offset on that what I set, or?

Nate152
With GPU Boost 3.0 you have what I call a "smart GPU," it boosts higher or down clocks based on gpu temp. With yours boosting to 1999MHz I can see you easily hitting over 2000MHz.

Try raising the boost clock a step at a time and watch the boost clock go even higher. Keep raising it in small steps until you see artifacting or the driver crashes then back it off a step or two, you may end up hitting 2100MHz and beyond.

Chino
Level 15
That's a pretty nice boost clock at default. You can probably squeeze a few MHz if you overclock the GPU manually. 🙂

Yes if I have time I will try a bit how much I can go. 🙂