cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different versions of Asus Strix GTX 1080 Cards. OC version is cheaper

Planetgazer11
Level 7
Greetings,

I bought a Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC edition (GTX1080-O8G) a couple weeks ago BEFORE the GPU prices went UP. The price for the the OC edition was $546, and the normal version was (STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING) was $555. Now after the prices went up for GPUs, the GTX1080-O8G is $630 and the normal version is $708. That is the prices for Amazon, for Newegg, the GTX1080-O8G is $629 and the normal version STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING is $780.

So the point being, the OC edition has always been cheaper for the past 2 months as I was shopping for computer parts. Is there a problem with the OC Edition and that's why its been cheaper than the normal non OC version? I read a couple of old post from a year ago saying that the OC edition (Which was a different one than I bought as the boost clock of that one was 1936MHz, and the OC edition I bought is at 1860MHz) production was stopped because there were too much RMAs. People where returning them as it crashed as the clock speeds where high.

So what is the difference between these 3 cards and why has the GTX1080-O8G OC edition (1860MHz) been cheaper than the non OC version? Here are the links to all 3 cards:

The one that I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS-GeF...

Non OC version:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphics-STRI...

The highest clocked version. Notice the box of this one and the one I bought is different in the front:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphics-STRI...

Very confused guys. I checked online and didn't read anything explaining the differences and why the OC version was cheaper (1860MHz version).
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
It could just be supply and demand. More of one thing and less of the other will affect prices.

GPU cards might go through all sorts of different paths to travel from ASUS to your vendor. Different logistics, different economies, different distribution channels, different middlemen. Different "bottom-line" and "marked up" per-unit pricetags.

The prices you see online are not always the same as the prices you'll actually pay at point of purchase. Prices can change multiple times daily (typically in response to prices set by other vendors) while webpages might be duplicated or cached or updated with less frequency.

Ever-increasing silicon yields and refinements mean that, over time, more GPU ASICs (and memories) become available which can attain and sustain higher overclock speeds, thus more and more faster factory-overclocked GPU cards (along with their beefier VRMs, "improved" coolers, brand styling, etc) become available - sometimes at lower cost. Vendors often insist on selling off their existing stock of older-and-slower cards at greedily-fixed pricepoints ... but don't worry, they always eventually figure out that nobody wants to buy this stuff anymore unless they put it on sale at a loss.

If a faster and better GPU cards costs less then by all means buy it, lol.

You can't really make much of a definitive statement about a particular model, series, or brand based on only a single comparison between a couple models (or even a couple particular pieces). Every new GPU version is a completely different beast, every new subversion or variant is a similar yet still substantially different beast. The comparative merits of a brand can really only be judged when they consistently put out cards that are far above or far below the qualities and performances of their competitors. Not all songs by one band are great, not all GPU cards by one brand are great, even when some are consistently better or more popular than others.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Chino
Level 15
Your OC model is the new one with the overclocked memory. It's pretty solid. With some manual overclocking, you could probably match the original OC model's boost clocks. 🙂

Thanks for the quick response you two. I appreciate the help! I was just worried that I purchased the OC model that was rumored to have stopped being produced because of too many RMAs. I have another problem/question if you guys can chime in. Here's the post and thanks again:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94569-NZXT-CAM-software-GPU-fan-speeds-not-accurate