Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702vs RAM/m.2 upgrade question

JEFFJWNZ
Level 7
Hi,

Questions:
1) Will the 16GB Ram stick in the picture below be the correct / optimal hardware for my laptop? The suffix is different.
2) Under normal use (gaming) will the m.2 below cause additional heat? Would you anticipate any issues with this 960 evo?

I have the GL702vs-rs71 and would like to upgrade both my RAM and I'd like to install a M.2 pcie nvme ssd. I ram CPU-Z to determine my specific part number for the RAM and it is 'M471A2K43BB1-CRC', and I looked the part number up and there is a very similar part on Amazon, but the suffix is CRB instead of CRC. I looked at the manual per Samsung but and not really all that tech savvy so hoping someone can help me determine if this is the optimal part for my machine, and if the suffix makes any difference?

Also, as far as a m.2 goes I am looking to get either the Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD, or WD Black 512GB Performance SSD - 8 Gb/s M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive – WDS512G1X0C.

Any tips tricks or anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

Update
I went ahead and purchased the M.2 and think it's great. Also, I went ahead and got the identical 16 GB Ram chip that came with the PC. I was able to find it refurbished from Impact Electronics (link below). If I would've purchased the RAM above from Amazon, I think it would've actually slowed down my 2400 mhz chip to 2133 mhz, and since 32GB is overkill... i think this actually would've been an overall DOWNGRADE.

Not sure I know anything about what you're referring to as far as CL 15 vs CL 17, I knew I couldn't go wrong with getting the matching samsung chip that the computer came with. I do need to rerun my benchmarks to see the difference. I think I remember seeing firestrike score of around 10,500 but cannot remember exactly. Need to run benchmarks again.

What are your benchmark scores? Do you mind posting some pics to show me your core speeds, clock speeds, etc. and show your benchmark scores so I can compare? I'll do the same.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/m471a2k43bb1-crc.html
9 REPLIES 9

JEFFJWNZ
Level 7
Hi,

Will an m.2 cause my computer to get hotter? The CPU already gets up to 90c some times.

I was looking for a ram upgrade and the Crucial website have a really good tool which gives you all the compatible upgrades for your computer. You can then shop around with the info they provide, which is what I did......link below>>
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en :D:D

Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to stick with samsung since samsung is what came with the machine.

- Can anyone shed some light on what the suffix might mean on the RAM above, and is this compatible / optimal for my system?
- Would the m.2 above cause additional heat vs. my standard hdd?t

I'm pretty sure I figured out the difference - but not sure what the impact is. My machine runs 2400Mhz RAM stock, and this specific ram on Amazon is only 2133Mhz.

Does anyone know if this makes a big difference? Would you recommend using 2x 2400Mhz sticks?

I've done both.

I'm running a Samsung evo 960 512gb. I imaged the factory setup using AOMEI backupper and restored it to the evo, runs great, cant say there was a difference in temperatures.

I also did the RAM except I replaced the stock 16gb with 2x8 modules that have much fast CAS Latency. (I didn't see the point of going over 16GB of ram and I was able to re-sell the 16GB module to cover the entire cost of my upgrade).

I purchased this kit https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225057&cm_re=sodimm_2400_viper-_-20-225-057...

Patriot Viper 16GB (2 x 8G) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory (Notebook Memory) Model PV416G240C5SK

DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
CAS Latency 15
1.2V

Has a CL of 15 vs the CL17 that the laptop comes with. For some reason my GL702VS runs the sticks at CL15 but maxes at 2130mhz vs the 2400mhz spec of the memory.

However, the gain in speed by going from CL15 from 17 is much bigger than a couple hundred mhz.

I'm curious to see once you setup a 2nd stick of identical ram will it continue to run 2400mhz.

You should do some memory benchmarks before and after, I don't see the 2-300mhz making too big of a difference. I know that my 3DMark firestrike score went up 4-500 points after installing the new ram.

I went ahead and purchased the M.2 and think it's great. Also, I went ahead and got the identical 16 GB Ram chip that came with the PC. I was able to find it refurbished from Impact Electronics (link below). If I would've purchased the RAM above from Amazon, I think it would've actually slowed down my 2400 mhz chip to 2133 mhz, and since 32GB is overkill... i think this actually would've been an overall DOWNGRADE.

Not sure I know anything about what you're referring to as far as CL 15 vs CL 17, I knew I couldn't go wrong with getting the matching samsung chip that the computer came with. I do need to rerun my benchmarks to see the difference. I think I remember seeing firestrike score of around 10,500 but cannot remember exactly. Need to run benchmarks again.

What are your benchmark scores? Do you mind posting some pics to show me your core speeds, clock speeds, etc. and show your benchmark scores so I can compare? I'll do the same.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/m471a2k43bb1-crc.html

Here are my benchmark scores with the above upgrades.

StarJack
Level 11
With regards to heat, I wonder if removing or just not powering the 1TB HDD (that I believe comes with these models) would have an impact on thermals in the case. Just sticking with SSD.

StarJack

That's an interesting thought - never considered that. Since I actually dont have any files on the HDD I dont think it would be under load, so I dont think any heat will come off the HDD.. it should theoretically just be sitting there.

At any rate I've monitored the M.2's temps and they dont even get hot during gaming.. and I dont do video editing so no worries there. Also, the M.2 had no effect on increasing the thermals of the machine overall.. It's still warm but not throttling. I can keep the CPU below 85c with no problems, and I've never noticed the GPU getting too hot.