cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my 7600k crap?

daroy
Level 7
Hi, I have recently build a new system. Wanted to overclock it a bit, but I am nowhere near the results I see from other people using the same 7600k.

My specs:
Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
Fractal Design S24 AIO
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz

If i set the multiplier to 46 I need a manual vCore of 1.34v to get it stable in Realbench / Prime95 2.66 / Aida Extreme. When I set a multiplier of 45 I can use 1.3v

However by no means I can get a multiplier of 47. No matter what vCore I set, it keeps giving errors in the stress tools. The majority of 7600k owner at least get 4.8 GHz and plenty reach 5.0 with the appropriate cooling.

When I use the 45 multiplier and set the manual vCore to 1.3v and leave everything else at auto.

When I use the 46 multiplier I have to set the LLC at level 5 and the vCore at 1.34 as I said before.

I see people use a much lower vCore for these overclocks.

Temps are as expected with these vCores. A bit over 70c with the 1.34 vCore. Around 65 with the 1.3vCore. When upping the vCore to run the 47 multiplier the temps are around 80c (don't want to go much higher of course). But it keeps failing the stress tests.

Did I just have bad luck in the silicon lottery, or am I doing something wrong here?
9 REPLIES 9

tommiboi
Level 7
Hi,

1.34 is pretty much commen for 4.6. What temps did your 6700K get ?

I mean my 6600K peaks in voltage use on 1.352 orso and that is on 4.4K For good enough its a 25% overlock. Temps dont get over 71 C(keep in mind this was with 25 C base). using ofsetmode with -0.035

Anways you can up de voltage drasticly to gain 100 more. If it doenst get over 75C on peaks you all fine. Not sure how your AIO cooler wil handle it. And keep in mind all the people on internet dont use there overclock 24/7. Some bench it for the Epeen post so we think WOW 🙂

I mean I dont gain much FPS in games with 25% overclock.
Try more, Try harder, Try and previal

So you would say leave it the way it is and don't aim for 4.7 or 4.8 GHz?

Temps now wit the 4.6 GHz overclock are idle around 30c and peak 75c.

tommiboi
Level 7
First question is what is the reason you want to overclock. Do you lack performance or do overclock beacuse you can, wich is the mayority us.

You are now overclocked at 4.6 that is like 9.5% overlock. Decent but not good. My thoughts are that your peak temp is still okay but you dont really want go much higher for 24/7 use. I would never use my pc 24/7 at 75 C.

But Seems you did hit your sweet spot on your 6700K. But if you only use 1.34 V you still have some headroom there. What you can do is try 4.7 or 4.8 with 1.385 to 1.4 v. If it boots run a test of 10 min. If it passes that lower your voltage 1 click. rinse and repeat.

Preferly I dont go over 1.4 volt. You really want to have a very good cooling solution... like custom loop.

I just added an other rad to my system. I have 360 and 240 rad now. My systems tops at 61 C on 1 hour prime95 + Furmark running. My CPU en GPU are in the same loop.

Just think about why you need that Overlock first.

I want to overclock my CPU because I play a racing simulator which runs better with higher clock speeds. The sim runs well but if I can extract more performance out of it I want to achieve that.

I am not in to custom loops, an AIO is as fas as I will go regarding cooling on my CPU. It's a Kaby Lake 7600k by the way, not the Skylake 6700k. I didn't dare to go above 1.35v at first. But will give it a try and see what the temps do.

tommiboi
Level 7
ok my bad 😞 7600K it is. But still the same that cpu also boost to 4.2 means still a 9.5% overclock. I mean 1.35 to 1.385 is normal. Guessing this also have 1.52v max . But i would never recommand that... huh Nate152 🙂 Where is Nate152 anyways. You can increase MP to 4.7K and up your voltage to 1.385 orso. Check the temps at all time when testing. Also try to bench mark you FPS in you games with bench it with the new OC. so you can see the direct improvement if there even is an improvement.

With 1.385v I can get the 4.7 GHz to work for a hour. But it peaks at 80c with Prime95 2.66. Which is on the hot side. I have tried to go to 1.4v and 4.8 GHz but Prime gives an error within a few seconds.

I guess this is as far this CPU will go then?

tommiboi
Level 7
am guessing you need 1.4v for the 4.7.

Also make sure that the 4.7 is stable before you try higher.

how are you controlling your AIO cooler ? is the pump/fans fast enough ? fans are easy to control. Not sure about your pump. If the waterflow is faster you will see that the cooling goes up.

But if i was you I would stick to the 4.6k and get 100% stable.

I believe the pump speed is set. Of course I can adjust the fan speed as they are all PWM controlled. It doesn't make that big of a difference in temps by the way.

At 4.6 GHz it's rock solid stable. I think I better leave it like this.

daroy wrote:
I believe the pump speed is set. Of course I can adjust the fan speed as they are all PWM controlled. It doesn't make that big of a difference in temps by the way.

At 4.6 GHz it's rock solid stable. I think I better leave it like this.

Ok thats great. GL HF enjoy overclock.