cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help- G Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZR

muffinman1604
Level 7
Hey all, about a week ago I got my new Ryzen system built. I have an 1800x and the Asus Crosshair VI Hero with some the 3200MHz Trident Z RGB RAM (2x16gb) F4-3200C14D-32GTZR.

My only problem is that I cannot get to 3200MHz. I think when I first booted I was at 2133MHz or something low like that. I changed around some of the DOCP options but the highest I could get was to 2999MHz (2903 maybe? Definitely 29XX). I changed the DOCP settings a little and that was closest I could get to 3200MHz. Is there a setting that I missed that I should try to change to get my speed up? Or will I need to resort to manually overclocking? - Never OC'd my RAM before.
And do you think that Asus will release a bios version eventually that supports the 3200MHz for my RAM that should get it where it should be without an overclock?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit 1: I am running the bios currently on the motherboard's support/driver website - Bios 1403

Edit 2: Page 2 has bios settings that have me running at 3200MHz stable. Thanks syldon!
17 REPLIES 17

fbatista
Level 7
Have you tried setting proc_odt to 80 ohm ? I can only boot at the SPD timmings by setting the proc_odt to that value. Also I use 2T cmd rate since its a double rank dimm .

Good luck!

fbatista wrote:
Have you tried setting proc_odt to 80 ohm ? I can only boot at the SPD timmings by setting the proc_odt to that value. Also I use 2T cmd rate since its a double rank dimm .

Good luck!

I have not tried messing with any of the advanced settings, just the basics that seem to be the "auto" settings more or less.
I'll give what you said a try. Are the settings to set it just in the advanced tweaking section?

Is that product code correct. All the searches I did came back as b die type on 8GB sticks.

syldon wrote:
Is that product code correct. All the searches I did came back as b die type on 8GB sticks.

here is a link to the RAM (G skill and Newegg)
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-32gtzr
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232560&cm_re=f4-3200c14d-32gtzr-_-20-232-5...

muffinman1604 wrote:
here is a link to the RAM (G skill and Newegg)
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-32gtzr
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232560&cm_re=f4-3200c14d-32gtzr-_-20-232-5...

Strange I was getting the 4 X 8s. Do you have a screen dump of your settings with stilts settings checker?

I will take a look and see what you can probably tighten up to change for 3200. You are using 2 x 16 so I don't how they relate to 4 X 8 yet. I have 2 sticks of corsair 16gb sitting here. If I cant find anything to change then Ill try mine out at the weekend. They are corsair and 16-16-16-32. Trying different timing wont hurt the chips. Worst case is that you will have to force a safe mode boot to change a setting back or reset the CMOS.

Any settings changed should be checked with a memory checking app. Memtest86 or Memtest64. Memtest 64 will run in windows OS. Memtest86 needs to boot to a USB stick. Memtest 86 runs in its own OS, so removes any corruption from drivers etc. It also runs more thoroughly imho.

syldon wrote:
Strange I was getting the 4 X 8s. Do you have a screen dump of your settings with stilts settings checker?

I will take a look and see what you can probably tighten up to change for 3200. You are using 2 x 16 so I don't how they relate to 4 X 8 yet. I have 2 sticks of corsair 16gb sitting here. If I cant find anything to change then Ill try mine out at the weekend. They are corsair and 16-16-16-32. Trying different timing wont hurt the chips. Worst case is that you will have to force a safe mode boot to change a setting back or reset the CMOS.

Any settings changed should be checked with a memory checking app. Memtest86 or Memtest64. Memtest 64 will run in windows OS. Memtest86 needs to boot to a USB stick. Memtest 86 runs in its own OS, so removes any corruption from drivers etc. It also runs more thoroughly imho.

In my bios the only settings I have changed is the DOCP and the defualt frequency it was trying to get to. 2999MHz on I think DOCP 2 turned out to be what got the highest for me. My motherboard would tell me that I am running at memory speeds 2999MHz, but the screenshot below from the application you linked does not agree with that.

I am new to having to deal with any memory related things like this so I have not done any other settings changes yet.

It looks like you are loading a profile which is not binding. You are actually running at 2133 not 2933, see mem clk ratio top left.

Can you grab you xmp settings from the memory. You can do it via HWINFO or grab the settings straight from the xmp profile reader in the bios. The profile reader is under Tool > Asus speed information then the settings are listed at the bottom.

copy this to add to them
tcl
trcd
trp
tras
trc

trrd_s
trrd_l
trfc1
trfc2
trfc4
tfaw
tccd_l

List them by columns Jedec, XMP #1 and XMP#2. I only have 2 jedec and XMP#1.

Have you put any voltage settings in at all or are you running on auto?

syldon wrote:
It looks like you are loading a profile which is not binding. You are actually running at 2133 not 2933, see mem clk ratio top left.

Can you grab you xmp settings from the memory. You can do it via HWINFO or grab the settings straight from the xmp profile reader in the bios. The profile reader is under Tool > Asus speed information then the settings are listed at the bottom.

copy this to add to them
tcl
trcd
trp
tras
trc

trrd_s
trrd_l
trfc1
trfc2
trfc4
tfaw
tccd_l

List them by columns Jedec, XMP #1 and XMP#2. I only have 2 jedec and XMP#1.

Have you put any voltage settings in at all or are you running on auto?

As far as what settings I have changed (including voltages) I have attached an image below of that.
[Note the Overclock tuner to DCOP 2 and the Memory Frequency set at 299MHz]
I have not changed any voltage settings.

Here are the XMP settings from my motherboard (a picture for each DIMM):

And here is a picture showing the info for my motherboard, including the right-hand side where it says my memory is at 2999MHz:

Thank you very much for spending time to help me along so far.

Edit: It looks like XMP 1 has the settings that I would want my RAM to be set to. Am I missing something simple somewhere to just automatically set those settings?

Change AI overclocker tuner to manual

set bclk to 100.

Bclk is the multiplier speed for the how the CPU and memory run. There is little benefit to increasing the bclk to above 100, because the PCI bus is locked at 100. So any profiles with bclk at above 100 are false improvements. There was a bug where bclk set to auto had a negative effect. 100 is the default. You get past this bug by setting bclk manually. I don't know if this bug still exists.

Your CPU power draw looks very low. This could be because you are on the default CPU clock. Mine is set to :

CPU set to offset
Then +0.03750
Soc voltage set to offset
Then + 0.05000

In External digi+ power control

Set CPU load line to level 1
Set VDDSOC load line level 1

This keeps my cpu voltage below 1.4 (1.42 is the max recommended) and soc at 1.09 (1.15 is max recommended)

In dram timing

CAS# LATENCY 14
RAS# TO CAS# READ DELAY 14
RAS# TO CAS# WRITE DELAY 14
RAS# PRE TIME 14
RAS# ACT TIME 34

TRC 48
TRRDS 6
TRRDL 8
TFAW 24
TWTRS Auto
TWTRL Auto
TWR Auto

TRCPAGE Auto
TRDRDS CL Auto
TWRWRS CL Auto

TRFC 560 Edit These look like they could be wrong (if they don't work try 560/418/257)
TRFC2 416
TRFC4 256

TCWL 14
TRTP Auto
TRDWR Auto
TWRRD Auto
TWRWR SC Auto
TWRWR SD Auto
TWRWR DD Auto
TRDRD SC Auto
TRDRD SD Auto
TRTDRD DD Auto
TCKE Auto

ProcODT Auto
CMD2T set to 1
GEAR DOWN - auto
POWER DOWN - auto

RTT NOM disable
RTT WR ODT off
RTT PARK auto

ADDR CMD SETUP auto
CS ODT SET UP auto
CKE SETUP auto
BUS CLK DRV STREN auto
BUS ADDR CMD DRV STREN auto
CS ODT DRV STREN auto
BUS CKE DRV STREN auto

Reboot at default settings to see if it binds

This may take 2 boot ups.

Check dram timings to see if they are active.
Look back in dram timings. The boxes marked CHA and CHB are the active timings. If they match what you have entered then move to the next step.

Set your memory frequency to 2800. (extreme tweaker main menu)

Reboot and check them again

If you find it doesnt reboot or it reboots at default memory speed (1896 i think) then you will need to adjust the ProcODT. This is time consuming but necessary to achieve max speeds. You will find it will continue to fail on boot until you find the magic setting. Start at 96ohm and work your way down to 40ohm. Ignore anything outside the range 40-96.

Once you do then safe the profile to that setting.

To save a profile go to tools menu then asus profiles
Add a name (2800 in this case) then below input a save slot. Press enter then confirm the save.

Then change memory frequency to 2933. rinse and repeat with ProcODT again to find the sweet spot.