cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I ask for some memory device advice please

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
I am interested in purchasing this memory, here is the link: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-64gb-4-x-16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-ki...

I currently can not see it on the compatibility list, does anyone have any ideas if this will work OK with my system (specs included with profile) I ask because I have found a really good price.:p

Thanks. Simon.
8 REPLIES 8

syldon
Level 9
SIMONHANDLEY1 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing this memory, here is the link: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-64gb-4-x-16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-ki...

I currently can not see it on the compatibility list, does anyone have any ideas if this will work OK with my system (specs included with profile) I ask because I have found a really good price.:p

Thanks. Simon.

Getting 4 X 16gb to work will be very hard going.

I just set up 2 x 16gb sticks of G Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZR for muffin man last night. It went in fairly painlessly. If you are intent on buying 4 X 16gb then I would look at those. Send a PM to muffinman1604 and ask him what timings he ended up with. I left him with a few tweaks to finalise and then check stability. It may take him a couple of days to get it done.

Setting 4 up may be a different kettle of fish. But if you want to use 16gb then I would say go here. A link to the post here

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
SIMONHANDLEY1 wrote:

Thanks. Simon.

Its definitely not easy, based on other people's experiences. Although I suspect there will be future updates to improve this. Im personally waiting to run 4 sticks.

It may be possible at the moment, as most RAM works, but only at 2400MHz JDEC. Large amounts of high-speed RAM appears to have the most problems.

If you do not need 4 RAM sticks at the moment, purchase 2 sticks now, and wait for stability to improve before purchasing more.

I have actually found some fairly interesting stuff about windows memory management and the truth about pagefiles, so unless you are doing stuff such as editing huge videos, you possibly don't need that much RAM. Here is a link to a thread where I explained it to someone else (I can't be bothered re-typing it)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/813773-how-to-reduce-windows-10-size-and-some-tips/#comment-102...

unknownmiscreant wrote:
Its definitely not easy, based on other people's experiences. Although I suspect there will be future updates to improve this. Im personally waiting to run 4 sticks.

It may be possible at the moment, as most RAM works, but only at 2400MHz JDEC. Large amounts of high-speed RAM appears to have the most problems.

If you do not need 4 RAM sticks at the moment, purchase 2 sticks now, and wait for stability to improve before purchasing more.

I have actually found some fairly interesting stuff about windows memory management and the truth about pagefiles, so unless you are doing stuff such as editing huge videos, you possibly don't need that much RAM. Here is a link to a thread where I explained it to someone else (I can't be bothered re-typing it)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/813773-how-to-reduce-windows-10-size-and-some-tips/#comment-102...

I run 4 x 8GB atm @ 3600 on sub 68 latencies. This has only been possible since using 1501 beta. On 1403 the posted bios revision only allowed me to 3466.
And yes 64 is a huge amount. I cant think why you would need that much. Sometimes it is just kudos for kudos sake, which is fine, it is your money at the end of the day. I use 32gb for video editing. My highest ram usage was 23GB. That still leave me 9GB blowing in the breeze. The biggest video I have edited would be around the 30 min mark.

syldon wrote:
I run 4 x 8GB atm @ 3600 on sub 68 latencies. This has only been possible since using 1501 beta. On 1403 the posted bios revision only allowed me to 3466.
And yes 64 is a huge amount. I cant think why you would need that much. Sometimes it is just kudos for kudos sake, which is fine, it is your money at the end of the day. I use 32gb for video editing. My highest ram usage was 23GB. That still leave me 9GB blowing in the breeze. The biggest video I have edited would be around the 30 min mark.

I totally understand the kudos thing. However my budget isn't that bit :(.

I'm not saying running that much memory isn't possible, I was just saying its harder to get stable.

I personally use 16GB at 3466MHz for software development, where IDE's can chew 1GB each, plus virtual devices for testing, (these need at least 2gb), I do top it out sometimes, but not often enough to be a big deal.

If I require more memory, I will buy more sticks, however at the moment I have no requirement for it, and memory is only gonna get cheaper over time.

unknownmiscreant wrote:
If I require more memory, I will buy more sticks, however at the moment I have no requirement for it, and memory is only gonna get cheaper over time.

It isn't a good idea to buy memory sticks separately.

Dual and quad channel memory are sold as a matched sets. They are tested at the factory to show they work as a unit. Buying at a different date could mean you get the same part number, but from a different die or even another factory. Which could result in a mismatched set preventing it from working at rated speed.

Check gigabytes QVL sheet for one of their boards. CMU32GX4M2C3200C16R ver4.31has a version number on it. This shows there is at least two sets of the same part number.

syldon wrote:
It isn't a good idea to buy memory sticks separately.

Dual and quad channel memory are sold as a matched sets. They are tested at the factory to show they work as a unit. Buying at a different date could mean you get the same part number, but from a different die or even another factory. Which could result in a mismatched set preventing it from working at rated speed.

Check gigabytes QVL sheet for one of their boards. CMU32GX4M2C3200C16R ver4.31has a version number on it. This shows there is at least two sets of the same part number.

Well in my country, I have no choice but to do that unless I want to get stung for parallel importing RAM myself, there is no way to buy high-speed speed memory kits with more than 2 dimms.

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
Thanks for the advice, I currently run 4 8gb memory sticks at 2666mhz with no problems anyway, I will hold off just at the moment. :cool:

SIMONHANDLEY1 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I currently run 4 8gb memory sticks at 2666mhz with no problems anyway, I will hold off just at the moment. :cool:

Yeah thats cool. If you're doing content creation, better to have a slightly slower stable machine anyway, as that way you wait for it more, but it doesn't crash, losing your work.